Home Chat General Chat

Blisters

I have been trying to persuade my girlfriend to join me on my weekend runs, but she regularly complains of blisters. She wears the same nike trainers that she plays netball in twice a week, without problems. I bought her some 1000 mile socks but the blisters still appeared.

Can anyone give any advise on preventing blisters, for no other reason than stopping her moaning at me.

Cheers guys

Andy

Comments

• chischis Posts: 94
    Some runners swear by rubbing a bit of vaseline on suspect areas before going for a decent length run although i have never tried it myself.

Whenever I have had the odd blister it has been when my feet have got really wet - say on cross country - and then I have got the odd blister on my toe. To avoid re-occurance I have taped the suspect area before starting a run - with sticking plaster without the lint part. This is, ofcourse, easier if it is a toe that is the suspect area - not much use if it it is say the ball of the foot.

I should persevere with the 1000 mile socks - the blisters form from a combination of warmth, moisture and friction so the 1000 milers should help with the friction part. Eventually things will settle when your girlfriend's feet toughen up - don't tell she will get hard skin! In the meantime have you tried ear muffs??
  • guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    If you buy medical tape I can't think of the specific name (I call it zinc oxide tape. Its white) this will stop all blisters instantly. Apply a couple of layers to the affected area.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Alternatively try Boots and look for some blister stuff called compeed (i think that is the spelling) great stuff and superb for stopping or protecting against blisters.
  • loonytoonloonytoon Posts: 673
    Compeed is indeed the way forward...

I get bad blisters from my mountaineering boots but sticking compeed on makes a world of difference..(before and after)

I think boots do there own version but this isn't as good as compeed

• guv001guv001 Posts: 227
    compeed is definately the stuff to use however it is expensive. A box will last about a week and will cost you about a fiver. Try the tape then compeed and mix the two it will definately save you money.