Home Chat General Chat

Heart rate

Just a quick question regarding heart rates (guess who got a Suunto for Christmas ) - my age is 44 so my theoretical maximum heart rate should be about 176 using the often quoted but as I understand it unscientific 220 minus age method. I just did a run and my heart rate maximum was 185 but I still felt okay (sweaty but not blowing up, if you know what I mean) so I think my "real" maximum HR must be quite a bit higher. Without access to a gym or other equipment what is the best way to measure/calculate my maximum heart rate so that I can detirmine my training zones?

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    From one of my 'Favorites' http://www.runningforfitness.org/faq/hrmax.php

These claculators are just guides really and vary with each individual and also dependent on your state of health at that moment.
  • Thank you for that - I think that I'll give it a day or two off running then do the same loop again. I'll aim for a negative split and if the highest HR is in the same region as today's effort then that will do as my maximum for the moment.
  • Suunto have a neat feature where it knows your max hr is not quite right, so if you exceed the inputted max hr in a coupl eof workouts say. This probably takes into account that you might get fitter and max hr will increase the fitter you get!??! It will ask if you want to reset the max hr to what it thinks it should be base don your measured max hr. My Suunto is the basic T1C and it has asked me to adjust it a couple of times since I've been using it albeit by a couple of bpm here or there.