Home Chat General Chat

Running problem

i was out with the running club last night and was going well until after about 35mins i desperately needed the toilet and had to stop at a pub on route this also happened a few weeks back and also used to happen last summer on training runs

do others suffer from this and how do you overcome it? have considered taking a diahorrea tablet beforehand but dont really want to do this

Comments

• MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    GI problems when running are quite common. I find I get problems if I drink too much fluids close to going for a run. I found by reducing the amount of fluids I take in just before running the problems went away.

You may need to look at changing things like that to get around the problem. Do you currently eat/drink much before running?

• Sounds obvious, but look back at your diet during the days when this has happened - are you eating enough roughage, drinking too much coffee etc? Also make a point of going to the the loo just before running. You may find that this is just a minor blip and after a few days it will go.

Good luck.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Two possible solutions I have used are Better core stability,being large my stomach would bounce occassionally giving me the odd black eye.The excessive movement may upset your stomach.Also try Andrews liver salts about 10 mins before your run one teaspoon only and drink before it finishes fizzing any more and it will be the fizz that makes you whizz to the toilet.The latter is also good for the nervous types before a race.Hope this helps.
  • Oooh - Andrews - there's a good idea. Thanks Jon I'll try that myself. :-)

I find a cup of hot green tea gets the bowels moving before a ride/run.

Totally agree with you on that one IronJohn.I try to avoid caffeine as much as possible till I have finished training/racing.Rather like Ginger and corriander myself for the anti inflammitary properties.
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    Unlike some people here, I include caffeine instead. I have a cup a half hour before a longer run and I can go tothe toilet within 15 minutes. I can start workout without worrying about pit stops then. Maybe you can try it and see if it works for you too?
  • jon.e what does ginger and coriander do for you with regard to anti inflammatory? I personally lay off caffiene to although I drink green tea with out any duretic effect??
  • bennybenny Posts: 1,314
    YEs, I thought I was the only freak who was hooked on that green tea stuff!!

I drink it daily (in form of green iced tea), and at work everyone always asks me what polluted water i'm drinking now. I dont them tell about it, if only they would know the true power and benefits of green tea[8|][;)].

By the way hound dog, recent scientific research has shown there is no diuretic effect from caffeine possible in the amounts that we normally use.
    Most drugs have their origin in basic plant extracts and ginger/pineapple are two commonly used plants that provide a small amount of pain relief through anti inflammitary properties.i am sorry that I can only go by articles that I have read and by using them myself but I failed biology at school.I also tend to add ginger into my smoothies particularly carrot and orange,it gives it a nice burn.