Home Chat General Chat

SPD SL Pedal Set Up

As an attempt to win the 'All the gear, no idea' award I am just about to take delivery of my new bike ahead of commencement of my second season of triathlon......

....cue next purchase Scott shoes (carbon soles) & Look Keo 2 Max pedals.

Should I be ok setting up the pedals myself or is it a definite no no for the first timer. I'll be able to get used to them on a turbo trainer and set them up as per Joe Friels Training Bible.

Any advice would be appreciated.

On a final note, I've pretty much bought all my pieces of kit now, will the spending stop or will I need a second job to feed my habit?

Thanks for your help......you're a great bunch!

Comments

• okennyokenny Posts: 231
    the spending never stops.
  • I've always set up my own cleats, just a bit of common sense, a bit of knowledge (Joe Friel), and trial and error. If they are seriously wrong, you'll know immediately, and when they are right they'll feel right, but then they can still be tweaked.

As to stopping the spend, oh no, you've still got so much to learn if that thought even entered your mind.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    you've only just started spending, unless you have bought an entire shop's season of cycling kit, running kit, swimming kit, tri kit, wetsuit, bike maintenance stuff, oh god the pain is enless on the credit card!

you can set up the cleat's yourself, you might need to tinker with them the first few times to get the positioning right but if you are on a turbo then that'll be easier as you can hop on and off without worries about traffic and where the allen keys are kept.
  • ok, ok......still need to get get the wet suit!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    I got a cycling mag on Sat, can't remember the name of it but I'll have a look tonight.

They have a huge article on cleat set-up and how to find your skeletal neutral postion. Your cleats should be set up to mirror this.

I have no idea what it means but they include a full breakdown on how cycling etc and wrongly fitted cleats, bad bike fit etc can harm the knees.

If you want I can scan it in and email it to you
  • iadamaiadama Posts: 60
    S11 - I'd be very interested in either the name of the mag, or a scan of the article please
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    And of course the obligatory falling over whilst stationary with feet still clipped in initiation - we've all done it!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    It took me about 10 adjustments to get the right cleat position. Sometimes that 1mm or so just presses on the wrong spot and its miserable. Be patient, and as long as you just keep track of the changes you make then you'll be fine. The goal is to keep the spindle under the ball of your foot, but at what angle is personal depending on your knees and ankles.