Home Chat General Chat

Which ironman book

I read a lot of talk on here about the book BeIRONfit. I this the best one to get if looking to purchase a book. There is also one called going long. Any advice on which book to get.

Comments

• okennyokenny Posts: 231
    I like "Going Long", Joe Friel is the business....but I am currently reading "Dave Scott's Triathlon Training"

I think any self respecting IMer has to read Scott's book, he is a legend, it's a great book too!
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    I've got both.

They are both excellent sources of reference and whilst my training plan is based on one of the plans from IronFit, I also incorporate some of the information from Going Long.

That probably hasn't been much help!
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    Ive got both, they are both very good books.

"Going Long" gives excellant training advice and advice on putting together your own training programme.

"Be Iron Fit " gives you 3 specific 30 week Ironman training programmes depending on your training time commitments.

If you are training for your first Ironman then "Be Iron Fit" would probably be more suitable.
  • I'd agree, Beironfit is more simplistic and in my opinion easier to follow.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    well, I'd suggest that you read more than one and use whichever bits from each you need. Including plans if required.

What has your local library got on catalog? Even an old edition will proviode you with a flavour of the latest to give you a feel whether you want to splash the cash on it.

didds
  • OranjOranj Posts: 45
    I've just finished "beIronFit", and it was quite a simple book to read & understand. There was, for me though, too much emphasis on athletes who don't have enough time to train. Fair enough we're all busy these days, but that doesn't apply to me - I have a 5 minute walk home as my commute and can corresponding fit in my training more easily - so although the schedules will be useful, the stuff about fitting it all into to a working day will be less so.

I found Friels' book & schedules mind bogglingly complicated, and although I understood it all in the end it was slow going.

I've just bought Ackland's "Complete Guide to The Endurance Training ", this looks like a slightly more sophisticated read for endurance training (despite the rowing pic on the cover there are Ironman schedules in it, as well as ones for long-distance cyclists and runners).
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    I'm currently following the be iron fit book, week 4. I find it easy to follow, but it doesn't add in any strength training etc, where as going long does do much more.

But the results are brilliant:

I'm 4 weeks in and on the first few runs I was in Zone 2 (158 max for me) and could only do 10 min/miles, now 2 runs per week and i'm now doing avg 7:20min/miles in zone 2.

So it's really worked for me!

At first It's hard to be strict and walk when your HR monitor is going off because you've seen a speed bump in the distance, but i've found it has worked very quickily!