Home Chat General Chat

coaching: what's in it?

hi all,
i started a similar thread some time ago ( coaching-services-and-standards-t47824.html ) but i would like to bring this issue up again
what is a coach's role? could someone please give me a rough description of what you should expect to get from your coach because at the moment i am really confused and i am either too demanding (or disillusioned) or haven't found the right coach yet...
i believe a coach should have a personal and motivational approach: further to a weekly program and practical advice they should be able to keep you going when the going gets tough, be proactive and get involved in the selection of your races and your training approach (ie suggest to join a cycling club, take lessons, loose weight, aquire skills if and when necessary etc), evaluate and commend on your progress, maybe set you short term goals and challenges, monitor your attidude and predesposition and ensure you stay 'on' and focused
am i mixing things up? am i wrong to expect this? are these things for which one should turn to different people? ie: mentors, sports psychologists etc?
any coaches out there and people who are or have been coached, your insight would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Sporteve, I have similar expectations to yours, and I'm begining to think they may be unrealistic. However I have a session this week (my first) I'll leyt you know how I get on and what the coaches expectations are.

Luckily I'm quite driven so I don't need the daily motivation but more direction in the overall picture, I'm thinking this will take less of his time and therefore I may have half a chance of it working. We'll see.
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Yep! You certainly are unrealistic. Do you expect them to train, race & wipe your a*s* for you? Thought not. What you've specified is someone to take control of a big part of your life - do you really want mothering/smothering or do you fancy a bit of sharp discipline from some dominatrix?

You have to have your own motivation. If you can honestly tell your coach what it is they can build on it. Conehead can't be there all the time shouting f**k. Or maybe he can.

You also need clear objectives for the season. Your coach can assess how realistic they are and help you in goals setting.

What you coach can do is assess your skills, endurance, strengths etc to identify what needs to be done so that you can meet your objectives. Your coach should have the technical expertise & experience to teach/coach you so that you do aquire the skills etc help you meet your objectives. If not they should refer you elsewhere. This will almost inevitably involve pulling together a training programme but it will be your programme and take into account your commitments in terms of making training time available and splashing the cash on kit etc. Ideally they should be there as a sounding board as your training develops and should help you change your training programme to keep you on target. They should suggest what you could do - your own motivation should do the telling.

Whether they are paid by you or not they must have your best interests at heart in helping you achieve what you want to achieve. Not building up their own ego nor putting club interests first.

Hope this helps stir the pot.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Well, I think what you need is what you perceive you need, and a good coach will maybe help you come to terms with whatever is unrealistic after that.

BUT...

you get what you pay for. So if you want all you say you do, then that will entail a fair bit of time planning, interpreting and face to face liaison... which (in the way of the world) you'll need to pay for. In short, if you need 10 hours a week involvement, you'll need to pay for ten hour's time. If you can only afford 2 hours time, then you can't realistically expect to get more than two hour's involvement.

However... if coach X says it will take 10 hours a week and you pay for ten hours a week then you can expect to get what you outlined of course

If you are relying on club coaches then - notwithstanding the arrangements between the club and the coach - _maybe_ your expectations are unlikely to be met.

didds

• i believe a coach should have a personal and motivational approach: yes
    further to a weekly program and practical advice yes
    they should be able to keep you going when the going gets tough, no
    be proactive and get involved in the selection of your races yes
    your training approach (ie suggest to join a cycling club, take lessons, loose weight, aquire skills if and when necessary etc), yes
    evaluate and commend on your progress, yes
    maybe set you short term goals and challenges, yes
    monitor your attidude and predesposition and ensure you stay 'on' and focused no
    My requirements. I don't think that these should be unrealistic especially considering you are paying decent money for the privilage.

I also think that the 2 points I said no to, should be there if you need them, after all it's probably only a phone call. But as Didds says you get what you pay for.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    This months 220 has it about right, list what you want or expect and go shopping, those coaches who can't or won't fit the bill get discarded those that do, you need to choose from. Same a buying any service, it should be fit for purpose, your purpose.
    Club coaching by definition will be somewhat generic & non specific, but you get the group dynamic.