Home Chat General Chat

Yorkshireman Triathlon

Hi Guys

Anybody done this?

I entered but am not a good swimmer, this will be my first olympic distance and was wondering about the swim in the Humber

Cheers

Comments

• I'm not sure but I think this year is the first running of it. I was at Leeds last year and remember someone talking about it.

I think it sounds a good event. It'll give you an incentive to get stronger at swimming.

Just do it
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Aaahh the River Humber,some days it is so silty you can walk across it.One would assume that the race start will coincide with slack water,hit the tide at the wrong time you could end up in either York or swimming off the coast of Lincolnshire .
    No doubt it will be a tough swim but well rewarding so best of luck.The bike route is fast.very fast,so expect a good time.
    A definite challenge.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I'm doing this - it will be my first OD
    I'm taking one of the charity places - just trying to get Humber Rescue to sign up to justgiving...
  • MlockeMlocke Posts: 2
    Last year was my first year. I did two sprint distance tris, London and another in the north.

I come from a cycling background but am a terrible swimmer. I can do the distance but it will take a long time!!
  • Not if the current's with you, it won't
    Yeah, potential to be a fast swim. On the other hand, it might feel like a mile uphill...
  • jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    It's this weekend - I'm there.

anyone else in ??
    ...yup! Really starting to get the fear now!
  • jamewahjamewah Posts: 113
    Great event !
    Really enjoyed it, weather was good too.
    Didn't enjoy binning the bike on the last corner though
    The run was uber tough with the 100MPH headwind off the River Humber

Still finding traces of silt in my ears
    Ah. Have you seen the photos? Sounds like it's you rolling around on the tarmac in the approach to T2 then. Hard luck!

I really enjoyed the race. My ears were minging too! The swim was something of a novelty! I took it easy as it was my first OD - all the rolling around in the eddies combined with the zero visibility made it pretty unusual. Did ok on the bike (for me) and put in a 42 minute something 10k - you're right about the wind - almost got blown over at the South turn point on my last time back!

Still got at least one little ache. Hoping it's gone before racing at Emberton on Sunday!