Home Chat General Chat

Progressing to Olympic Tri

I've got my first novice tri coming up in May (400m Swim, 10k Bike and 3k run). There is also a Olympic distance tri coming up in August that I fancy entering.

Dou you think it would be possible to be able to complete the distance if I train well enough?

Thanks

Grant

Comments

• RobRob Posts: 209
    Hi Grant,

If you train well, anything's possible. Once you've done the novice tri you'll have a better idea of what you're capable of. But once you've done it you'll be hooked & fired up for the Oly. Good luck for May.

Rob
  • yes thats plenty of time to train especially if you start now
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Thats plenty of time to train. I recently read somewhere of a woman who trained for 6 months to compete an ironman. Took her a long time to compete but she did it.

Not sure I could do that though
  • Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    Hi,

Without a shadow of a doubt if you put your mind to it and train hard.

I find it easier to train (in any sport ive competed in) if I have signed up for an event. Its a case of 'Must" rather than an Option! [:D]

August is along way off, you could make huge progress in that time.

All the best for May also [:)]
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    HI Grant - excuse the look at me approach ... I went from attempting my first sprint last June to completing a 1/2 IM in the september & a mountain marathon only weeks later. If you want it enough you will do it ... having the gear helps but if you train for it and your mad enough you will acheive your goals. dont allow yourself to worry about the olympic race at this stage thinking its way too much and so much more than a sprint. Instead focus on week by week training gradually increasing pace and distance - use the sprint as your first race - this will give you good indication as to how you are prgresing and most importantly will give your confidence a major boost. you may well find yourself in a postion whereby you are looking for more races and go onto acheive so much more than you see yourself accomplishing now.

self belief is worth more than any amount of carbon

mad ..[:D]