Home› Chat› General Chat

Watch info?

Hi peeps!

I'm new to the forum and to traithlon so apologies but I'm sure I'll be firing off lots of Newb based questions! I've just entered my first ever race (East Leake Triathlon) and would like to buy a watch to time my training swim/bike/run. Up to now it's basically been a guesstamate! Look at the clock when I start the swim, then look again when I finish my run! lol!
Do people have any suggestions as to the kind of features I should look for? or tips on starter watches for Tri? Ideally I would like something that allows me to time the total time and the ability to time each section. I've seen the Timex Ironman watch but what does it mean by '50 lap' watch?

Any suggestions/advice/tips VERY much appreciated!

Mick

Cheers

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Welcome mickwood.

Timex ironman watches are brill. I've had one and still use it regularly despite having a garmin 305 as well.

Laps refers to the number of times the watch will store splits and still keep the total time going. What you'd do is press start on the swim, the lap button when you exit, press again when you get on your bike, again when you get off your bike, again when you start the run and press stop when you cross the line.

The watch will record and store each split so you can view them later.
  • Awesome! Thanks Flavadave - think I'll go ahead and buy that one then!
    (so I assume the '50 lap' part is the number of times you can press the 'lap button'....technically I could even time my transition?)
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    ah.... the first of triathlon purchases.... the rot has set and Wiggle will now be your friend.
  • I wouldn't bother, if you're anything like me, you remember you haven't started it, half way through the run.
  • Well, I was really just hoping that by merely owning an 'ironman' watch it makes me a triathlete?

The purchases is most definitely like a creeping death....shoes...bike...helmet....trisuit....watch...lol!!
  • Watch....bought

Just got "TIMEX IRONMAN 50 LAP TRIATHLON SOLAR MENS WATCH T5J271"
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    When funds allow, I'm hoping to get one of these Timex Ironmans. Prices range from 80ish to 100ish

[img:z4on0li6]http://images.esellerpro.com/2270/I/125/82/medscale001309.jpg[/img:z4on0li6]

50 lap memory, but it's also a HRM which is what seals it for me.
  • Oooooh, now that's the Daddy!!

Dear Santa.....
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Ah but then you will NEED a GPS HRM 150 lap watch that you can download onto your PC and analyse every step and heartbeat.

The rot has truly set in - there is no turning back
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    Zacnici wrote:
    Ah but then you will NEED a GPS HRM 150 lap watch that you can download onto your PC and analyse every step and heartbeat.

The rot has truly set in - there is no turning back

I know what you mean though. I've been browsing eBay for a second hand TT bike And there was me just saying I was going to fit slicks to my MTB and get some clipless pedals
  • Help.....me.......
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    I just realised that my avatar pic shows me wearing my timex ironman watch in my first ever tri last year. If only I'd remembered to push the start button in the swim... I was too busy trying not to drown.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    The old if only I started my watch when I started storu!!! I have a few of them..................... I also have a few cheap crap watch stories where the stop button gets pushed some how after about 10 mins.

I now have an all singing and I reckon it can dance Garmin 405 with the trimmings. I love it. Enough stats to keep even a triathlete engaged for hours!
  • it's started...bugger....

Those 'tri bars' or 'aero bars', are they necesarry? are they worth it? I assume they are for keeping a tucked, and therefore aerodynamic position with less effort and more comfort?

not sure my bank balance can cope...good thing is though, the missus seems to be interested in starting too so all kit will be, ahem...'shared'
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Mick - Aero bars are for keeping more aero but when it comes to more comfortable it takes some time to get use to them and also there are so many types. If you search back through some old posts on the froum you find this has been asked loads. There is also a freally handy link that I believe Zacini left about strain on the wrists from certain shaped bars.
    I have some cheap profile bars and love them. They are the ones that are joined at the end to you get loads of different hand postions to change to during the ride.

If you good lady is hetting involved or interest in triathlon them uts not kit shareing its kit doubling up.
  • Blinkybaz wrote:
    If you good lady is hetting involved or interest in triathlon them uts not kit shareing its kit doubling up.
    I have a strange feeling your right.....
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    for starting out a set of tri bars are potentially useful but mainly as an alternative riding position rather than a super-fast-aero tuck. the full benefits of an aero position come with a more aggressive tt-bike type frame, saddle and handlebar positions.

clip on bars on a road bike will offer some but not all of these things so in reality what you get is a comfy arm-rest which can be good for resting tired hands! that's not to put you off from ever getting them, and they can be brilliantly useful for settling down on and just getting on with driving the legs, but compared to a 'proper' tt-cockpit/bike they are essentially tinking at the edges.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Blinkybaz - thanks for the ref

The link is this one here
    http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/sbend.shtml
    I did omit to say that this article was hotly debated in one of the other forums, Slowtwitch? but I stumbled upon the article when I had a go of some S types and they hurt like buggery (for me, I am after all old and a bit arthritic )

An excellent posting was made by Jack Hughes on this thread
    tri-bars-or-not-i-m-confused-t46980-10.html#p52821

Without a doubt aero bars are beneficial. Increasing aerodynamic efficiency actually benefit us mere mortals more than it does for the elites, it effectively closes the gap. When putting aero bars on a road bike you will throw out your weight distribution, centre of gravity and suffer reduction in power output so it's not just a case of bolting them on and off you go, you will need to re-adjust your setup. Ideally a proper bike fitting sesssion, Suggest you do a separate post on that depending on where you live. Here is an article on bike fitting that is quite detailed but I hope gives an idea http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/ ... kefit.html