Home Chat General Chat

So how long..

is the time interval during a run to bike brick or bike to run or swim to run or any combination thereof, that it ceases to be a brick, but is simply a run followed by a bike or..etc?

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Never longer than the transition time during a race,is my rule of thumb.If you can run as fast after a bike than as if you didn't bike then either the interval is too long or the bike too short.
  • if i take any longer than a normal transition i stiffen up anyway,
    so not sure its any advantage,
    oh god! i must be getting old !
  • JellybabyJellybaby Posts: 180
    In Be Iron Fit, Don Fink encourages a brick every week. His criteria are that the transition time should be no longer than three minutes. If everything is set up by the door, then I can be done and out in about 90 seconds. As the bike leg starts to increase in length I'm sure this will take a bit longer, but it's about 90s off a 2 hour turbo session
  • This might be a silly question but can you 'overdo' the brick training? I have been doing brick training without knowing there was a word for it but it just makes sense to practice what your gonna do? I do a sprint tri when I can and am thinking now that I could fit in some brick training which would be easier to organise (bike/run as that seems to be my worst transition, my legs feel dead! lol!) but is there a point where it becomes 'too much' or not worth it?
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Contraversial.......bricks have limited physiological effects....mmmm. are you suggesting its mostly psychological ? the 'I know I can do it, because I have done it?'
    The reason I posed the question is that a lot of my training combines disciplines, but not designed to be brick sessions. for example this morning I ran 10 mins to the pool, gap of 5-10 changing, exchanging pleasantries etc swim 45 mins, 5-10 shower change & 10 min run home. When I teach spinning I run to work, 20 mins, 10-15mins set up 45 min class, 5-10 breakdown & change 20 mins run home, so in both cases I get the run whilst fatigued (a little, depending on session) effects, but not the continuous 'short transition' type activity.
  • i think it would be pushing it a bit to call them brick sesions
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    i cycle to work and then run at lunch and then cycle home. i'm pretty sure those are brick sessions, just with a very relaxed and distracted transition.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Specificity dictates that your 20 min flat out sprint run needs to be trained like that, so fast bike, quick change of footwear & sprint off...if its a brick, then I would advocate 5 -10 mins at leg burning pace...faster than you would intend to go in the race itself..theoretically this sets you up for a speedy run feeling good (ish) at your normal 20 min run pace....extrapolate from there for the differing distances, choose your intended pace & do a shorter run at a faster pace....or am I making it up...
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    britspin: or am I making it up...

maybe. But then possibly so is everybody else bud

Q: has anyone a reference to any definitive study/resource that shows that bricks are of definite advantage?

By this I do not include (WADR) Joe Beer/Joe Friel/Don Fink saying "they are good" unless their claim is backed up by a bibliographical reference to some study/paper (in which case THAT is what I would be interested in).

didds
  • Surely, from a purely kinaesthetic point of view, brick training is useful? Kinaesthetic learning has lots of scientific back up. So putting it into a tri context the body 'learning muscle memory' in relation from the change over from swim to bike, bike to run has merit?
    (I know nowt of tri, being a rookie, but I used the same principle LOTS in Kayak coaching!)
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I think there is some benefit. But I also think that what the benefits are isn't fully understood. Perhaps the question is how many/much do you need to do/what percentage of your training should be brick sessions. And why is it predominately/exclusively bike->run, and not swim->bike?
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    does brick training do any harm.....??

no matter at what level they are useful. In my lack of knowledge, I would say that its self satisfying when you complete a brick session. A bit of self achievement.