Home Chat General Chat

Heart rate monitor - advice appreciated

After a couple of season's racing oly distance I am moving up to a half ironman this year. As part of my training I am looking into getting a heart rate monitor.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated... main criteria I am looking for are outlined below:

- Easy to use
- Comfortable chest strap
- Sub £100 ideally
- Alarmed heart rate zones feature

Thanks

Comments

• You might be able to get a cheaper or older version of a garmin watch for around about £100.

Well worth it because alongside your heart rate information you can get details about distance covered, pace etc which is all valuable stuff to evaluate your training.
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    Been looking at these today as well.

Have a look at the timex ironman wathes on wiggle.

Plenty of choice.
  • You might be able to get a cheaper or older version of a garmin watch for around about £100.
    Indeed you can. Sweatshop. Garmin 305.
  • I have got a Suunto T3 which i am very happy with. When I did my web searching this was one of the best reviewed brands in the market. I have also bought the bike pod so i can use it as my bike computer as well. Additionally you can get a bike cadance pod and a running pod so all bases are covered!
  • On this subject, one thing i also wanted to mention was that i also ordered a clear protective cover for the HRM from a company on the web called Zagg (this is the link to the one i bought -http://www.zagg.com/invisibleshield/suunto-t1-cases-screen-protectors-covers-skins-shields.php). I could not believe the amount of packing and information that accompanied the cover (including a sponge and liquid to wash the unit before the skin is applied) when it arrived but they must really take pride in their products. I have not used the HRM many times so i have not put the scratch proofiness to the test but it is inexpensive insurance on a piece of equipment that is often liable to be damaged in falls or scrapes. I am not sure what other units they produce covers for but it would probably be worth checking IMO
  • lmaclmac Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input everyone. Think I have narrowed it down to the two below. Does anyone who has any experience with either wish to share their thoughts?

Thanks.

Timex Ironman Race Trainer Full Size
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Timex ... 360044231/

Polar RS100
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Polar ... 360020403/
  • The Polar will usually work in the gym and with other devices such as Tacx Turbo trainer. I don't know about the other one.
  • Suunto also work with gym fitness equip (only that Polar pay a premium no doubt to have their brand displayed on the bieks and running machines etc.!!)

I have the basic model Suunto T1C, was less than 70 quid and ticks the rest of your boxes too. It isn't compatible with any additional Suunto pods though (bike & run)....just a HRM. Its good enough for me and has plenty of functions. In my experience I wouldn't buy anything other than Suunto if I was shelling out a wad for something a bit more advanced.
  • I've used the Timex HRM with thingy that you can download data to Training Peaks spreadsheets for a couple of months now and it's been brilliant. It certainly provides as much feedback as I need for fairly novice Ironman training programme - and it was a bargain from Wiggle (a tad over £100). I know nothing about monitors with GPS, bike compatabile functions and tea making facilities but, hey, I've already got maps and a bit of string, a bike computer and a kettle. Have to say, better then my old Polar and cheaper. Holey strap could be a weak point tho.
  • For that money. Polar.
    I've got the Polar RS200SD. Picked it up on eBay for £60 with HR and footpod.
    Polar also do a cheaper HR strap that is waterproof.
    Been using it for the last year. Invaluable!

Would like to move to a Garmin 310 at some point but that's £300 for another time!