Home Chat General Chat

Numb legs

Ok..dont know if this has been discussed here before, but does anyone have tips how to get rid of those numb legs when starting the run after the cycle leg.

Just more training needed to raise tolerance levels of lactic acid build up?

Comments

• This might be a bit extreme, but do an Ironman and get a tattoo. Apart from that you just wear trousers for a week?
  • I don't think you can get rid of that feeling. Doing Bricks will get you more used to the feeling, but I think everyone gets them to some degree or another, it is just a case of getting used to the feeling.
  • ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Drop a gear and increase cadence for last kilometre can help.

'jelly legs' dropped considerably when I went from a road to a tri bike, now only have them on the run in to T2, when setting off for the run legs feel fine.

Dehydration exacerbates muscle fatigue and when I swapped to a tri bike I also got an aero bottle to drink on the go and will almost drain the 1 litre bottle.

All else fails stick a pin in them - guaranteed to take your mind of it
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    As said above - practise practise prctise ... do brick sessions ( Bike ride followed immediately by run) - this will, possibly, get you used to the jelly leg feeling and you will just run through it - check down the page for another thread on this recently (something like when is a brick not a brick thread) ....
  • andissandiss Posts: 82
    Thanks lads, brick training it is, i wont be buying more gear.
    I did push myself to pass out three lads the last 2km just to see them overtake me on the run
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I have stopped some of the feeling by changing to a low (easy) gear about 300 hundred yards from the finish of the bike section and really spinning the rpm up. It gets the blood pumping in legs and seems to stop the jelly leg numbness! You will never get rid of it completely. Brick sessions as said will give your legs more of an idea whats coming. Practice makes no not perfect but less numb!!!!!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    yes but wait till you get off the bike , try to run and proceed to fall into a hedge.....
  • andissandiss Posts: 82
    hedge? I only do events if there are concrete, tarmac and seriosly hard water.

To get rid of excess weight I have removed the cushioning in the saddle and same applies for tires and handlebars. Stopped wearing shoes, clothes or wetsuit also I just super glue the race number to my shaved body. Reckon it does at least 10 sec on the full olympic distance