Home Chat General Chat

TT Helmet or not ???

Ok so now I have a TT bike do I go for a TT/aero helmet ?

I am not a quick cyclist but needed a new bike, as we all do, and decided to go for a TT bike rather than road bike. I am to do a few local TT's, a couple of duathlons, IMUK 70.3 and IMUK this year - maybe a couple of other sprint Tri's.

I need a new helmet as mine is not great anyway - so do I go for a full on Aero helmet or should I go for a normal helmet?

If not a TT helmet then what helmet would you reccomend ?

I know this has probably been asked before but the search function on here is pathetic so I am asking again

Comments

• ZacniciZacnici Posts: 1,385
    Aero helmet without a doubt. Have look here
    http://teamtimex.timexblogs.com/2006/08 ... eap-speed/

With regards to an aero helmet:
    It is true that if you are lucky enough to ride at 25 or 30mph, you will save more power than someone at 15 or 20mph. BUT, because the person at 15 or 20mph is going proportionally slower, they will be saving a higher total amount of time. Basically, someone going faster will save a higher percentage of time, but the person going slower will save more time in total.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    You also have to get one that suits the profile of your aero position......no point in getting one that doesnt sit flush with your spine...... more turbulance created therefore more drag means waste of money which more importantly triples the WAT Bill come end of season.....
  • Last1Last1 Posts: 14
    Hi
    Take a look at the new Kask TT helmets being used by Team Sky, very aero, well ventilated, fully hinged visor and extremely confortable. http://bikesales4u.com/kask-helmets/
  • a big vote for the kask,
    previously had a bell,
    not bad, but upgraded to the kask recently, although not cheap it has to be the most comfortable helmet i've ever worn,
    plus the added advantage of the built in visor,
    so no messiing around with glasses in T1,
    so now the problem is trying to justify looking like i know what i'm doing
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    An aero helmet is my offically requested birthday present this year.

As Zacnici says, this is an upgrade that will help anyone, rather than say a disc wheel where you need a decent speed on the bike to get the most out of it.