Home Chat General Chat

Who races on a TT, who races on a road bike?

2»

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    you can't turn a road bike into a TT as the geometery is wrong. You can get close to it by sticking clips ons and reverseable seat post. Bopo has done, I've done it but its not a TT.

However it gives the option of a road bike and a kinda TT set-up. Two for one!!
  • If the advantages of a TT bike are so obvious and seemingly proven, why do plenty of pro triathletes such as Alister Brownlee use drop bars (road bike) for the bike leg? It would be understandable if they were on hilly courses but I'm sure they are also used on flatish courses. Are these bikes TT geometry with the drop bars added???

Being fairly new to this triathlon lark, I've probably not picked up on the obvious, well known reason why, but I'd be interested to know why.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Th reason why Pro's dont use TT is that Pros, generally, race in drafting legal races where the use of Tri bars is not needed - once you are behind the frontman you may aswell be on the drops - it is also possible that it is not allowed - but on that i am unsure.
  • And brownlee races OD so 40km bike not 180km.
  • Oh and rules state that in those OD races that no tri bars can extend beyond the drops .

Getting areo on a full on TT bike where you are allowed to draft would be mighty boring for 40km!!!

Although if there were a massive crash seeing riders impailed on tri bars might be exciting !!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Can anybody answer the question of whether the pros would be allowed to race, in a draft legal event, on a TT frame with drops?
    You do occasionally see them using tri bars, but just the stubby draft legal things.
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    So...tell me if I'm being a bit daft.....but are there any rules regarding what can and cannot be used on the bike by mere mortals like myself who are likely to be bringing up the rear of the pack?
    Unless you're riding in "draft legal" races, which you would know if you were (...) then the rules are basically that your bike must be road worthy, with two brakeable wheels (assuming you're riding a two wheeled bike), in a good state of repair.
    The BTF handbook gives you the full list of conditions - distance between axles, height off road, etc.
    In reality, you will be unlikely to be subjected to anything more than a cursory inspection. The ends of your bars must be plugged and that's nearly always checked.
    Give your bike a good clean before any race, clean and oil your chain and block, ditch unnecessary clobber (locks, lights...) and you will find the going a lot easier!
    Oh, and you can't ride without a helmet (SNELL / ANSI approved) and you must not have an mp3 player on.
    Thanks for that.

I'm probably being a bit premature cause I haven't even got a bike yet.

25 days and counting till delivery. Just need to make sure everything is right for her.

Ta
    atomic,

I might pedal to Dumfries to see sight of the that bike... I've been meaning to cycle the death road (A76) to dumfries a while now. After Thornhill its generally ok.
    shadowone1 wrote:
    atomic,

I might pedal to Dumfries to see sight of the that bike... I've been meaning to cycle the death road (A76) to dumfries a while now. After Thornhill its generally ok.

Mmmmmm..............I don't fancy cycling up the A76 any time soon...........don't mind putting the bike in the back of the car and meeting somewere though.

You must remember though...............I'm new to this game and likely not to be as quick as you would expect.

Remember....never been on a road bike in my life
    I can sense a spring time trip coming together!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Yes Defo.

Don't worry about being a novice. I'm still relatively new to it as well.

Just back a 2.5hr bike ride then into a 20min run. really tired now.

A nice spring ride in either Ayrshire or Dumfriesshire. Either way i'm not bothered.

let me know what you think
    Thanks, CH!
    Not that I'm ever likely to have to worry about it...!!
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    When I bought my road bike it was with the full intention of using it in TT form for the summer, so I made sure the seat tube angle wasn't too slack.

With the Profile forwards seat post on it I have an angle of 77 degrees, which is about as far as many 'proper' TT frames will go.

The front end is done with the correct stem length. Sure, my wheelbase may be a bit long, but I have no idea why that would matter.

It is fast and comfy. If you can only afford one bike then spending a few hundred quid to give yourself 90% of the functionality of a TT bike might be an option.