Home Chat General Chat

Bike Nutrition???

Hey Guys,
I'm starting to put some long rides in now in preparation for IMUK.

What I could do with is a few ideas of what other people eat and drink on long rides???? I currently drink PSP22 and eat a couple of slices of Soreen fruit loaf.

Cake, bannanas, gels or sweets.........what do you all eat......and drink.

Cheers

Comments

• hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I use predominately gels as they are what I would use in a race, but if its a long slow ride then ill stick anything in my pockets really, bars, gels, bananas, jaffa cakes..... I dont do the lets stop at a cafe half way round like most the gayboy pure cyclists haha

If your taking on gels, only take them with water or you will bloat yourself and over-carb your stomach... this doesnt mean you cant drink energy drink at all during the ride but when you take on board a gel, drink water/dilute squash for 10 mins either side of the gel.

At the end of the day its personal preference....I know I can go hard during a long course race (O3 Distance - 4k 130k 30k) which takes me 7 hours to complete and only use gels, energy drink and water for my nutrition.

This wont work for everyone.

Its in these long training rides leading up to IM that you should practise your nutrition you will use on the day. It may take a 4-6 weeks or even longer to find something that works perfectly for you.
    The key is to find that nutrition plan that works for you and once race day gets here, stick to it, dont add or take anything away from your plan, if someone says 'oooo I wouldnt do that during the race' IGNORE THEM adn stick to your tried and tested plan.

You will have plenty of other stuff to worry about during your IM journey on the day so by squaring your nurition away will take the pressure off slightly:)
  • Cheers for all that top advice. I'm out tomorrow for a 5 hour ride...got 2 bottles of PSP22, gels, and home made bannana muffins. Not sure i'll have room for the pork pie COnehead!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only thing I've got to tackle now is the HILLY course im riding through the Lakes.
  • mmmm pork pies.....with soreen for dessert and some NUUN!
  • The routes vary to be honest, I do some hilly-ish 20milers, then there are some tough 40-:50 milers. I'll PM you next time I've got one penned in if you like.
  • The routes vary to be honest, I do some hilly-ish 20milers, then there are some tough 40-:50 milers. I'll PM you next time I've got one penned in if you like.
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    Most ironman races, even IMUK, have aid stations on the bike every 10-12miles (ish) apart on the bike. So you're never more than 30-45mins away from a replen. So don't do (what I did) and load your bike as if you're doing the 112miles un-aided.
    Trouble was at last year's IMUK aid stations was you couldn't rely on them having anything!!!

Quite like High 5 4:1 and isotonic gels plus mule bars work for me.

If you're going to get used to bananas for the run, get used to under-ripe ones. That seems to be what most races use.

Ade
  • Shaggy wrote:
    If you're going to get used to bananas for the run, get used to under-ripe ones. That seems to be what most races use.
    Tasty
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Never feed the bike...keeps it hungry.