Home Chat General Chat

Swim with HRM

Hi All,

Might be a daft question but...

Is my HRM with Strap waterproof enough to swim with, i.e track HR in the pool?

Keep seeing stuff about HR's on finishing the swim, is this done during the swim or is it the reading after you put the HRM Strap on after the swim?

I have the basic Polar F4.

Cheers Guys and Gals

Comments

• The Polar F4 HRM is waterproof is waterproof to 30m, and therefore fine for surface swimming. Wear it actually during the swim, to record what's going on. You'll have to try it out first though, as some don;t seem to register properly whilst in the water.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Dont quote me on this but I dont believe my Garmin 405 is water proof.
    I have seem peeps using the HRM's in the pool and that must mean some are waterproof!
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    my buddy wears his tri suit in the pool, makes it easier to keep the HRM from moving around...

My RS800CX also doesn't work in the pool Was thinking of getting another cheap one for just swimming.
    But I like using my Poolmate too - swam a good 2.5km last night, was only possible with the Poolmate - I would have lost count so often.

when will we get a device that does everything?
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    As above. Nearly all HRM's cannot transmit under water. There are some models that store all the info in the chest strap and then when you exit they automatically transmit the data to the reciever. But I gather these are not the cheapest options.
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    I have a cheap (under £50) Timex and its waterproof and reads HR under water no problem at all - also have a cheapo Tesco HRM and that works fine under water and reads HR under water no probs at all in open water or in pool, both used last year in Tri's and never had a problem....
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    Race1 wrote:
    As above. Nearly all HRM's cannot transmit under water. There are some models that store all the info in the chest strap and then when you exit they automatically transmit the data to the reciever. But I gather these are not the cheapest options.
    That's not true.......only the expensive ones (RS800CX for example!) don't work underwater!!
  • jibby26jibby26 Posts: 261
    okenny wrote:
    [quote="Race1":2zalzlog]As above. Nearly all HRM's cannot transmit under water. There are some models that store all the info in the chest strap and then when you exit they automatically transmit the data to the reciever. But I gather these are not the cheapest options.
    That's not true.......only the expensive ones (RS800CX for example!) don't work underwater!![/quote:2zalzlog]

I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it is to do with the transmission frequency used, which also happens to link with the price. I believe the cheaper uncoded HRMs use a 5 kHz transmission frequency whilst the more expensive coded ones such as Garmin, Suunto and the top Polar ones use 2.4 GHz. The attention of the signal strength in water is proportional to the square root of the frequency, so the signal from the 2.4GHz strap is reduced 700 times more than the 5kHz strap.
  • jibby26 wrote:
    signal strength in water is proportional to the square root of the frequency, so the signal
    from the 2.4GHz strap is reduced 700 times more than the 5kHz strap.
    Yeah, that's what I was going to say
  • Race1Race1 Posts: 58
    I recently bought a Timex Ironman "Race Trainer" HRM. Manual states

"The Heart Rate Sensor will not display heart rate when operated under
    water"

I'm sure timex wopuld love to be able to say how wonderful the device i so would claim it if it could I haven't tried it though. It's a 2.4ghz version
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    GGB, is the Tesco one the £20 job? I know the watch is waterproof but wasn't sure if the strap part was ok underwater. If it's the same one maybe I'll give it a go. Does the strap part have a battery in as well or just the watch part? I've no idea how these things work!