Home Chat General Chat

Bits and Pieces

The bike is bought (Specialized Allez Sport) and now it's time to add the extras, tri bars etc. My question is how much should I spend? Obviously the bike isn't an all singing, all dancing tri bike so it would be stupid to pay stupid amounts on upgrading bits but where should I draw the line? How much of a difference is that few extra grams going to make?

I don't want to buy something that I feel I will need to replace quickly but then the price does need to be in keeping with the bike. Or am I wrong? Would upgrades and extras would you recommend as essentials?

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    How much have you got to spend and when if ever would you realistically be able to buy a TT bike?

You could spend £500+ on aero carbon race wheels which would probably make the bike a fair bit quicker but you could use them on a TT bike in the future so that wouldn't be a wasted investment.

By comparison you could spend £150+ on the lightest carbon clip on aero bars, which you would not need if you bought a TT bike.

Unless you are at elite level I would say a few grams here and there would really not matter. You'd be far better of spending the money on a proper bike fitting.
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    nice clippy pedals and shoes, and cheapy-ish clip-on tri-bars. some bottle cages and bottles.
    pnucture repair kit, spare tubes, maybe some speedier tyres.

make sure you've allowed some cash for tri-kit.
  • Jules wrote:
    How much have you got to spend and when if ever would you realistically be able to buy a TT bike?
    I upgraded my road bike with clip on tri bars, clipless pedals, tri specific saddle, bottle cages, and bag with spares etc. Next upgrade will be wheels, when funds allow.

I can't afford to have two bikes, but also ride Tri's and Sportives, so aero bars need to be removable.

As to buying a TT bike, it maybe heresy, but deep down I don't think I can justify one, and don't really have any short or long terms plans for one. I just plan on being more efficient at riding what I've got.