Home Chat General Chat
Options

In or our of aero bars?

Rode a really undulating course today which has made me have a few questions about when I should be in or out of the aero bars. I typically average about 27.5km/h for a 60km ride, my question is at what speed does it become inefficient to be on the aero bars?

Now I know if your crawling up a hill @ 10-14km/h you want to be sat up but what about if your working your way up a steady incline/hill @ 20km/h is it still worth being in the aero position (are there still aerodynamic benefits that outway sitting up?).

Comments

• Options
    bunongbunong Posts: 49
    I have always worked on being on the aerobars at speeds over approx 17mph and out of them when going slower. Don't know if this is correct as if 80% of all effort goes on fighting wind drag when surely it must be best to stay on the aero bars all the time
  • Options
    LexLex Posts: 65
    Surely this is just a judgement call based on the terrain you a riding? If I feel im losing power and momentum/speed ill come off the aero bars regardless of the mph im doing
  • Options
    JulesJules Posts: 987
    Lex wrote:
    Surely this is just a judgement call based on the terrain you a riding? If I feel im losing power and momentum/speed ill come off the aero bars regardless of the mph im doing
    Yes me too, just do what feels necessary at the time.