Home Chat General Chat

Competition Etiquette

I have my first duathlon coming up oi March - Dunmow Essex, based around Hatfield Forest / 5K run / 20K bike / 5K run - then a bigger event in cambridge in May.

I'm getting on with my training (although everytime I see someone else out running, biking I think how much more fit they look than me...).

A lingering concern is the general etiquette when competing - the dos and do nots.

I've read about drafting (?) in biking - i.e. don't cycle behind people.

Is there anything else I need to be aware of, perhaps during the transition stage for example so I don't f**k the experience up for other people

Thanks

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    I'm not the best at this but try to cycle to the left to allow fast people room to over take on the right is always a good thing to do. I was caught out by that on my first event and couldn't work out why the marshalls kept shouting 'get over' at me when i was climbing a hill - i was thinking "I'm trying to get over the f'ing thing" then it dawned on me...

I'm sure others will be full of more helpful advice too,

Good luck with it!
  • longyplongyp Posts: 13
    I guess if you were moving to the left to let fast people over take you you must of been leading them at some stage?....
  • Donlt touch anyone else's bike or kit in transtion. At times it tempting to shift it slightly to one side to squeeze yourself in or to give yourself a bit more room, but don't. Even if they've taken up more than their fair share of space, leave it alone. Get there early yourself so you have choice of spot, and can pinch a bit of space.

Other than that, enjoy,almost all people you come in contact with will be personable and offer any help, even during the event itself. Most don't see you as the competition, as most are only competing against the clock.

As to the fit ones training, someone somewhere is probably thinking the same about you. It's only when you get to the event you realise that not everybody looks fit. But don't fall for it, it's usually the unfit looking ones that have the speed and endurance.
  • longyp wrote:
    I guess if you were moving to the left to let fast people over take you you must of been leading them at some stage?....
    Or started in a slower wave, thats why I get overtaken
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    longyp wrote:
    Unfortunately not, it was a multi lap course and i was being lapped...again
  • dont blow your nose out to the right, some one may be overtaking you
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    Blow your nose out to the right. It may slow down those overtaking you
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    TRIumphant wrote:
    Donlt touch anyone else's bike or kit in transtion. At times it tempting to shift it slightly to one side to squeeze yourself in or to give yourself a bit more room, but don't. Even if they've taken up more than their fair share of space, leave it alone. Get there early yourself so you have choice of spot, and can pinch a bit of space.
    if everyone does that and no-one moves any stuff then the poor sods getting there later would have no racking space left at all. if was left with no space to fit my bike in what shall i do, lay it on the ground in front of the space?

this is triathlon racking, not sun-loungers by the hotel pool when a party from frankfurt turn up!
  • (although everytime I see someone else out running, biking I think how much more fit they look than me...).
    If that's the case prepare for some SERIOUS bike insecurity
  • This might be telling you things that you already know but take an unusual coloured/patterned towel to put next to your bike with your bike shoes etc on so that you can quickly locate your bike when the racks are full. You should also make sure that you have some method of quickly locating the correct row you are racked on when you come in from the run and remember your route for each transition so that you don't slow anyone else (or yourself) as you try to orientate yourself. Good luck!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I would NOT agree with the comment about not moving somebody else's kit if they are in your space. Might be wise to alert a marshall that you are going to do so, to avoid any accusations of tampering, but if the event has numbered spaces, then everybody should stay within their own allocated space.
    Don't be tempted to accidentally spill some talcum powder to mark your spot in transition - you may be penalised for doing so. But learn to recognise your own kit, and have a walk through the transition area in the direction you will be going after the swim so that you know where to find your spot. I write directions on the back of my hand in permanent marker, eg. Row 3 left.
  • don't piss in the pool
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Do not use a towel, that could accomodate the whole of the Von Trapp family on a picnic,on which to lay out you kit in transition.

Second thoughts...do not use a towel it is for wussies.
  • If you're waiting for you heat during the race. Don't fanny about in the transition area, specially the entrance, exit. It can be a distraction for those still racing.

This is for pool based tri's with heat systems.

Happy racing, good luck!
  • jon.E wrote:
    Do not use a towel, that could accomodate the whole of the Von Trapp family on a picnic,on which to lay out you kit in transition.
    What size towel would you suggest? Hand towel? Travel towel?
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Jon.E? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.*

*Sorry, couldn't resist a "Hitch-hiker's Guide" gag.

I'll get me tri-suit.
    Bopomofo wrote:
    Hey, you sass that hoopy Jon.E? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.*

I'll get me tri-suit.
    that probably flew over the heads of the youngsters at flight level nosebleed

nothing refreshes the palette more than a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.It sure knocks Redbull into the sidelines.
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    jon.E wrote:
    [quote="Bopomofo":ezbzhhnm]Hey, you sass that hoopy Jon.E? There's a frood who really knows where his towel is.*

I'll get me tri-suit.
    that probably flew over the heads of the youngsters at flight level nosebleed

nothing refreshes the palette more than a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster.It sure knocks Redbull into the sidelines.[/quote:ezbzhhnm]

Eh!!!!!!!!
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Should we start a Vogon poetry thread?

ex.
    Oh freddled gruntbuggly,
    Thy micturations are to me
    As plurdled gabbleblotchits
    On a lurgid bee
    That mordiously hath bitled out
    Its earted jurtles
    Into a rancid festering [drowned out by moaning and screaming]
    Now the jurpling slayjid agrocrustles
    Are slurping hagrilly up the axlegrurts
    And living glupules frart and slipulate
    Like jowling meated liverslime
    Groop, I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes
    And hooptiously drangle me
    With crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or else I shall rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon
    See if I don't

Did I stray off topic?
    Inserting Babel fish as I type.

But maybe for competition etiquette it should just be

DON'T PANIC !
  • DON'T PANIC !
    Good one!

Also, the answer is 42...
    xxx
  • Also, the answer is 42...
    If I recall correctly this answer was based on questionable data.

Wouldn't want to lead the youngsters on the forum astray.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    I could explain all the secrets of triathlon. I am after all exceptionally intelligent. But nobody ever thinks to ask me, so I'll just sit here and rust very slowly.

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Shazbat.