Home Chat General Chat

turbo trainer resistance

Not a which is best, but is there a difference in how much resistance you get for your money?

I have a cycleops mag turbo with remote but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of resistance there, not really enough to simulate tough climbs. Was wondering if people had tried lots of different ones and if more wonga gets more resistance.

I've tried all the usual stuff to make it harder like lifting the front wheel (hill), turning up the fan (headwind) loading weights on the bike (heavier) and bungee cord from bike to back door handle.

cheers
Ade

Comments

• lifting the front wheel (hill), turning up the fan (headwind) loading weights on the bike (heavier) and bungee cord from bike to back door handle

Can you make the turbo meet the tyre more tightly where it attaches? I have a little twisty thing on my turbo to adjust how close the flywheel is to the tyre - moving the flywheel closer and having your tyre fully pumped up will provide a decent resistance
  • Shaggy wrote:
    I've tried all the usual stuff to make it harder like lifting the front wheel (hill), turning up the fan (headwind) loading weights on the bike (heavier) and bungee cord from bike to back door handle
    WTF?

As Jelly says, increase the resistance via the dial on the flywheel, and then change to a higher gear.
  • Shaggy wrote:

I've tried all the usual stuff to make it harder like lifting the front wheel (hill), turning up the fan (headwind) loading weights on the bike (heavier) and bungee cord from bike to back door handle.

cheers
    Ade
    is this a bite?

try adopting a non-aero position by increasing your profile!
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    The roller is dialled into the rear wheel, it is working. In spite of the joke comments it was a serious question. On my cheap'n'cheerful there is resistance, and I can feel the effect of changing the level and I can get a good workout at a higher cadence, but when machines are compared do more expensive models offer more resistance? My trainer isn't as hard as climbing the local 10% hill, and certainly nowhere near going offroad.

Ade
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    Ade, can you not adjust the roller so it presses more against the tyre? THat or you could just try mounting the bike to the wall and ride it vertically
  • Shaggy wrote:
    The roller is dialled into the rear wheel, it is working. In spite of the joke comments it was a serious question. On my cheap'n'cheerful there is resistance, and I can feel the effect of changing the level and I can get a good workout at a higher cadence, but when machines are compared do more expensive models offer more resistance? My trainer isn't as hard as climbing the local 10% hill, and certainly nowhere near going offroad.

Ade
    put more air in the tyre then, and ensure the pressure is maintained. IIRC the tyre should be 'compressed' and bulging on the walls when the turbo is fully engaged
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    You should calibrate the turbo as follows :
    ALWAYS MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE THE TYRE PUMPED UP TO MAX .
    Then Tighten the screw at the back on to the tyre , then turn the pedals till you get to a speed of 20mph , then count how many revolutions the rear wheel makes .
    You should be looking for it to turn 10 - 12 times .
    Adjust the pressure on the tyre until you achieve this .
    USE THIS AS YOUR STANDARD SET UP

By doing this and using your gears , you should be able to do what ever type of workout you want .

Hope this helps.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    I have resisted having one for years & will continue to do so...
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    Again - sorry for delay in response. been poorly.

OK, big plate of humble pie for teatime.

Bike on turbo for last 2 months. Back tyre not checked, obviously gone down a bit. 20psi topped up and it did make a real difference. And there was me thinking I was getting fitter!! Lesson learned and I'm off to stand in the corner. Not ready for a 57 tooth front yet (Philip Graves !!!!)

cheers
    Ade