Home Chat General Chat

IM Bike Training

Hi guys,

I would like to finally get out of the OD & 70.3 distance and go for a full IM in Roth next year.
My only problem is, I hate training on the Turbo and I don't live in Spain.

Do I HAVE to suck it up and get on the turbo, or is it enough to train on a gym spinning bike until April (or later, depending on weather)?? Roth is on in mid July.

What do ye reckon??

Comments

• Get some decent cold/wet weather gear and take your trusty steed out for a ride.

Love it!
  • I second what Dave says.

It's better to be on the turbo than the spinning bike, as it will get you more used to being on your saddle and being in the position you are planning to race in. You've got plenty of time so build up to some longer rides.

You could do the marshman plus in May (3/4 IM distance i think) as a bit of a taster I guess
  • EdstgEdstg Posts: 83
    I don't really understand your post? are you saying that you don't like riding outside in the cold weather?? if so should you really be attempting an ironman, maybe indoor netball would be better?
  • Edstg wrote:
    I don't really understand your post? are you saying that you don't like riding outside in the cold weather?? if so should you really be attempting an ironman, maybe indoor netball would be better?
    lol...suck it up princess!!!

i'm in the same boat, been out all winter, back when we had the heavy snow...cold-check, wet-check, miserable-check, dark-check...yup,that's winter training in the UK...

also get some overboots and clip on mudguards
  • It depends when your races are and how long you want your training schedule to last.. for instance if you were doing an IM in July and followed Be Iron Fit, it's a 30 week plan so you would need to start it in Jan, but your your A Race is later in the year you probably can give the turbo a miss
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    Thanks for the advice.

I was referring to an IM NEXT year, i.e. 2011.

I live in the east of Germany where is get's a lot colder and slippier then in the UK. Most of the smaller roards are still pretty impossible to cycle over, unless your training on a mountain bike. the snow is still fairly thick.
    I also don't have that many roards to train on here, they tend to be bigger roads with lots of traffic.....probably beacuse most of them were built after the unification of Germany, i.e. lots of motorways and dual carriageways but not so many smaller roards, that I know of anyway.

thanks anyway
  • I'd say splash the cash and get a VR Turbo trainer - they're fantastic and completely take away the boredom factor. I actually now look forward to my turbo sessions Added to that Tacx have the entire Roth course on DVD so you can get used to the course over the winter - a big plus mentally I would say.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    that sounds like a fantastic plan......I am gonna pick up my new Specialized Transition next week - I'l need a VR-Trainer to go with that.
    Good plan.
  • Yeah, you gotta justify the new wheels - be a crime not to. Best of luck!