Home Chat General Chat

the reasons behind the drills.... & wetsuit required plse.

Although still a novice myself and not really into all the technical stuff, Im doing my BTF Level 2 (only for the sake of our childrens club!)

Does anyone know of any good books to buy with drills in and the explanations as to WHY we do them?? Obviously doesnt have to be a Triahlon book, but a good swim or run one would be fine!

Also, Im looking for a cheap 2nd hand wetsuit to do my 1st open water tri this year if anyone has one please. 5ft 4" and size 12.

THANKS!!

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    If you want to coach then you'd better get interested in the technical stuff PDQ.

Running drills are a bit of a problem as there are only three. The rest are often dynamic warm up exercises, also very important, masquerading as drills. Have a look at http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/e ... nning-form . Even then drills A & B are a bit dodgy as there is no need force the leg to the ground when gravity will do it just as quickly by just relaxing it. Drill C is essential. The book from which the above is a extract gives a fuller explanation of the mechanics of running. There is a lot to good running technique & certainly a lot more than is written by 'experts' in our magazines. Have a look at chapter 5 of The Runners Body by Ross Tucker & Jonathan Dugas for a brief overview.

Unlike running there are loads of swimming drills. The DVD recently given away with 220Triathlon is rather good at showing what drills work. One book I've used is The Essential Swimmer by Steve Tarpinian. It goes through the four main styles. For each drill it goves How, Why, When & How Much. In addition it has a swim analysis chapter with suggested drills for each 'fault'. A good book all round.

You may wish to post separately in the Wanted forum WRT the wetsuit.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Assuming that L1 has been completed in order to go on to L2, go back to your lesson plans & see how they work. The 'at the end of the session' part tells you your objective & therefore gives you an idea of how to get there, so if its Bi lateral breathing for example..check out bi breathing drills on the web/swim books etc & decide which suit your purpose & build your sessions around that.
    Similarly run drills, I can't agree tha tere are so few, but I take the point about them being glorified dynamic warm ups..but then where is the line on any drill/warm up? Time of use? Distance practiced for? Anyhow..once your objective is defined, then the drills become more obvious as in which ones & when & what for. Hope that helps & not confuses..BTW where are you cantdoit?
    Happy to help out via e mail or if close, to get together & discuss.
    I would watch one...no blokes in the way to spoil the view...........................hows that for feeding insecurities? Hehehe.
    I wonderd where the above post went..wrong topic, duh.