Home Chat General Chat

early morning swims

Just did my first early morning coached swim pool workout. Felt fine during it, easier than I expected. But now I have a serious case of the trots and feel nauseated and unwell. I got up at 6:15 and had a glass of orange juice, a coffee and a small amount of special K. The session started at seven and went on for one hour. Between intervals i sipped Go energy fuel, and afterwards i had toast, a banana and a coffee. Am I unwell due to the unaccustomed time of the training (I had been doing coached pool sessions at 9pm previously), or is it down to what I ate?

Comments

• MikeyBMikeyB Posts: 135
    I am not aware of training at a different time of day causing effects like this. It's not a problem that I have ever had.

Was the food you ate different to what you would normally eat? Could it have been something you ate the night before?
  • RockyRocky Posts: 6
    Sounds like a good mix of food in a short period of time with a bit of strenuous exercise chucked in for good measure.

I train early mornings and normally have a cereal bar before training, squash (not sugar free) during, and a banana straight after. Then breakfast (Special K & coffee) when I get back, and it seems to do me ok.

Perhaps the cereal, orange juice, coffee, sports drink mix was playing heavy on your guts?
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    I have never experienced this either. However as some have said it may be food relate.

Other factors it could have been. Is if you are not used to proper sessions in the pool, air can easily get trapped causing lots of bowel movements. Also depending n what sort of session you did, you stomach mucles may be tighter than normal, which could also cause bowel movements.

Not sure if that will.
  • everyone is different, I guess, but my advice would be to just have a glass of apple juice before swimming (diluted is best).

I swim at 6am twice a week after getting up at 05:40. I also do the same before a morning run. I have no issues with stomach cramps.

I used to be a competitive swimmer, so know never to eat within 1 hour of training.

hope that helps
  • nickbnickb Posts: 13
    AM sessions are always more hard work due to your low blood sugar level but you should feel sick as you've eaten before the session.

Try an early morning swim on nothing more than a banana - you should be OK although it will be harder work than usual due to the low BS level, but this is no bad thing for keeping the weight down (if you need to!) and will encourage your body to tap in to fat reserves.
  • 3/4 Of an hour between eating and drinking and then swim training isn't a great deal. Even as a kid I can remember everybody used to be warned about leaving at least an hour between eating and swimming.

Try eating or drinking just one of the items you normally take and see if you can sort the problem by process of elimination. Unfortuneatly it may just come down to having to get up earlier if you want to eat before swim training.
  • hi all,twice this week i have felt sick on my 7 o,clock swim and all i have when i get to work at 5.30 is tea and water,i quite often try to drink the pool dry so i am putting it down to that.
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    Knowing the effects caffine has on me in morning I'd cut that out before the swim. Possibly also the orange juice due to acidity.