Home Chat General Chat

First swimming speedwork session

Hey guys,

I'm just making the transition from running over to triathlons so I started swimming last year. At the moment I'm up to doing three swims a week of between 1000-1600m and was thinking I should try a speed session.

The problem is, which one? I've found loads of various suggestions and training programmes but they all seem either incomprehensible or require me to to be faster than I already am.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I currently average 10mins for the 500m if that's any help.

Comments

• JulesJules Posts: 987
    Got shown a good one the other night.

100M (ie 4 lengths of 25M pool) x 8.

First two sets of 100 - three lengths slow, 10 seconds rest, one legth fast.Then 2 sets of 2 slow 10 seconds rest 2 fast, then 1 slow ten seconds rest then 3 fast, then four fast. Total 800M

The faster groups (I am also about 10 mins for 500m) did three sets of each 100M.

Obviously the above departs from the standard swimming advice of "do some technique drills, then do some more technique drills"
  • Jules wrote:

First two sets of 100 - three lengths slow, 10 seconds rest, one legth fast.Then 2 sets of 2 slow 10 seconds rest 2 fast, then 1 slow ten seconds rest then 3 fast, then four fast. Total 800M

The faster groups (I am also about 10 mins for 500m) did three sets of each 100M.
    I like the sound of that one, it seems manageable and also remember-able (some of them seem abdurdly complex). Do you rest between the sets or do the slow lengths count as a recovery?
  • GHarvGHarv Posts: 456
    Make sure your stroke is good first.

That is where the real speed is.
  • JulesJules Posts: 987
    shaunharris wrote:
    [quote="Jules":6hj7ah5u]

I like the sound of that one, it seems manageable and also remember-able (some of them seem abdurdly complex). Do you rest between the sets or do the slow lengths count as a recovery?[/quote:6hj7ah5u]

We rested between but only 10-15 seconds
  • Thanks for the advice. I'm still getting my body used to swimming a decent distance three times a week at the moment but I'll try that one soon. Me & a mate are also planning on booking a swimming lesson to help with the technique so hopefully I'll have no excuses come my first tri in June!
  • shaunharris wrote:
    I'll have no excuses come my first tri in June!
    Try to find alow key event sooner than that just to try out technique, transitions etc. The best way to elarn is to do it, and you can practice as much as you ike, but the best training session is always the real thing
  • TRIumphant wrote:

Try to find alow key event sooner than that just to try out technique, transitions etc. The best way to elarn is to do it, and you can practice as much as you ike, but the best training session is always the real thing
    Cheers for the advice - I'm doing a sprint Aquathlon at the beginning of April, and my main goal for the year is another sprint tri in September that I really want to do as quickly as possible.
  • An Aqauthlon is a complete different beast to a Triathlon. I've done a few, and it;s a completely different felling starting the run staright from a swim, as opposed to off the bike. Not so much Jelly Legs, but Twitching Calves. Thats providing you don't fall over as soon as you start running, which seemed to be quite popular.
  • I did the same Aquathlon in November and found that then; my calves were like rocks and surprisingly cold! My fault for not doing any brick sessions I suppose. I'm putting plenty of the bike/run ones in before June, I've heard some horror stories about people's first attempts!
  • LeezarLeezar Posts: 36
    As its the season build up and dont know if its been posted recently but its worth downloading Mr Smooth to see if your stroke is good.
    http://www.swimsmooth.com/console.php

I found loads of small tips for technique in their lessons with the use of the visual program
  • Ooh, that looks really good - thanks for the tip!