Home Chat General Chat

Training for hills without hills

Hi,

I'm lucky enough to live in the Cotswolds, so loads of hills to practice on.

During the week I commute to work a few times, unfortunately this route is lacking hills, it has a few lumps but nothing to get excited about. I have thought of changing the way I go, but I have a tight timeframe due to family commitments.

So is there any way to turn this route into a hill training ride?

Obviously at the weekend I hit the hills, I just wondered if I can use this ride in a more structured manor.

Any suggestions

Comments

• HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Grant

Rather than focus just on hills why not think about the A races you've lined up and the type of bike courses they have. You could probably use your flat commute rides to train specifically for them. Hill training is great for strength/force & muscle endurance but is not the be all & end all. Specificity is important.

For example if there are lots of corners why not try some accelerations. Even hilly tris have flat bits so practice & refine going aero. Do race pace intervals - very specific. Learn to apply your strength at speed (speed x force = power). Try doing some intervals at higher & lower cadence than race pace. Practice riding with a smooth pedal action.

Mix it up a bit & you should see the benefits come race day
  • I'm doing Wimbleball, that course goes one way and that's up!

Great advice though thanks...
  • I too am doing Wimbleball, and my commute is relatively flat'ish, and short. On the way into work, I try to treat it a a high RPM session, spinning thelegs as fast as possible all the way. Then on the reurn jourbey, which is generally uphill all the way, but only a gentle incline, I use the biggest gear possible. Takes a while to get going away from the lights (yes, I stop when they're red), but I can feel the burn in my legs. Hopfully, cycling regularly in a big gear will assist on the hills.

On weekends, I just try to go out and find the hilliest loop I can, and keep circling it.
  • Get a job in The Lakes............we've got loads of hills!!!!
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    If your offering me a job I can be there 9am Monday
  • I too am doing Wimbleball, and my commute is relatively flat'ish, and short. On the way into work, I try to treat it a a high RPM session, spinning thelegs as fast as possible all the way. Then on the reurn jourbey, which is generally uphill all the way, but only a gentle incline, I use the biggest gear possible. Takes a while to get going away from the lights (yes, I stop when they're red), but I can feel the burn in my legs. Hopfully, cycling regularly in a big gear will assist on the hills.

On weekends, I just try to go out and find the hilliest loop I can, and keep circling it.

Hi I can recommend this. My commute is fairly flatish but generally a downward gradient on the way in and obviously up on the way home. I do the same idea as above and it works a treat - I have to make sure I feel the burn in my legs. I top this up with weekend work in the chilterns - off road. I grew up in the peaks and I'm from the lakes originally so I know a hill or two.

Last year I entered an off road duathlon and despite racing against experienced MTBer's I was 5th on the bike leg.