Home Chat General Chat

Roof mounted cycle carriers

What cycle carriers are suitable for carrying a carbon frame bike on the roof of my car?

I currently have a Mont Blanc Barracuda carrier like this

http://www.montblancuk.co.uk/products/c ... racuda.htm

which clamps onto the tubing of the bike but I am worried that this may cause damege to the frame. Is it OK to use this type of carrier so long as I don't tighten the clamp too much or do I need to buy an inverted carrier such as this

http://www.montblancuk.co.uk/products/c ... f/cm25.htm

or can I use a carrier that fixes to the fork such as this

http://www.montblancuk.co.uk/products/c ... winner.htm

Sorry to be a pest but obviously I dont want to cause any damage to my bike.

Thanks

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I dont put my bike anywhere I wouldnt put myself for a car trip!

Mine sits in the back and looks out the windows. I cant bring myself to clamp her on to a cycle rack.
  • AtomicAtomic Posts: 126
    Blinkybaz wrote:
    I dont put my bike anywhere I wouldnt put myself for a car trip!

Mine sits in the back and looks out the windows. I cant bring myself to clamp her on to a cycle rack.

Yeah......Thought about that.......but would the kids be able to hold on to the roof rack for 3 hours down the M6?

I suppose if I tied them down properly.
    Now thats a good point atomic!
    I dont have kids (thank god) so dont have that problem. Have you considered a rear mounted carrier?
    I did think about a rear mounted carrier but they never look safe to me and the bikes always look like thay get knocked about a bit.

Or did you mean for the kids
    I never thought about mounting the kids on the back screen.

The thing with roof mounted cycle carriers is that they cause the most drag and will therefore cost you more in fuel.
    If both wheels are clamped down and you protect the bike from the weather then it seems a roof mounted carrier is a reasonable system.

I still think you should find some way of offsetting the kids seating postion as well.
  • Get a galaxy or such like.

Mine is huge. Job done and the bike goes in the boot .
    willieverfinish wrote:
    Get a galaxy or such like.
    I knew this tri malarkey was going to cost the Earth but I wasn't expecting the Galaxy.

What is the WAT on that
  • I've got a towbar-mounted three-bike Atera Strada, and it's the badger's nadgers. Pretty soft clamps around the frame and the wheels – but then it's far from cheap, at £200-plus.

If you don't have a towbar and insist on a roof-mounted carrier, I think Atera's Giro AF uses pretty much the same clamping. There were a couple for sale on eBay a few days ago. Failing that, always keep a look-out on the clearance section of the Roof Box Company's website (http://www.roofbox.co.uk/bargains-sale-clearance/) – there are some good deals to be had there.
  • Atomic, I had the same dilemma, in the end I went for a Thule roof bar system with the bike rack that attaches by the front forks rather than clamping on the frame as I was a bit worried about frame damage too. I believe that the clamp can be used safely as long as you don't over-tighten it but I didn't want to take the risk.

No problems so far with clamping by the forks and it seems pretty sturdy when its on.
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    I have a thule with frame clamp - works great......through I'm always afraid that I'll forget and drive into my basement garage without removing it...eeek that would be expensive.

But you can clamp it without putting too much pressure on the frame, I wouldn't worry about it. The most important thing is that you tie down the wheels well. This might be an issue if you have nice carbon wheels, especially if they are deep.
    I wanted to get a toe bar hitch for my Audi A3 but it would have costa FORTUNE as I would have had to geta tow bar fitted.
    I am happy to put long on the motorway with the bike on the roof, but not the the speeds usually used here in Germany! for 130kph or 140hph is fine.. (80 mph I think). (It's officially rated for 130.)
    Would go any faster than that with it on the roof.

On a long frive I put a few of thise plastic pull-tie thingies on it, just to spread out the force a little and to make it just a bit safer.

Anyone have experience with a bike on the roof with deep section wheels? Maybe then you just want to get it into the car somehow. I can't imagine how my rack would work with fast wheels or a disc.
    Maybe just leave on the training wheels for transport, with the good wheels in the boot. I am still saving for nice wheels.