Home Chat General Chat

FROZEN FINGERS!!

Right....I know we've had the Frozen Toes thread (of which I still suffer with ) What I wondered was does anyone else suffer with frozen fingers. And before you all say "get some gloves" I wear 2 pairs when I'm out on the bike.
I'm not just talking about cold fingers, I'm talking about PAINFULLY FROZEN FINGERS TO POINT WERE I CANT MOVE THEM LET ALONE FEEL THEM!!!
I'm not sure if its something medical/poor circulation??

If anyone else has this, (apart from 20!!pairs of gloves) what do you do to stop you from getting long winter rides in

Cheers guys

Comments

• I use winter gloves, made with Windstopper fabric. They generaly work fine on their own, but if it's really cold, then put a pair of thermal liners in first. I must admit they don't completely stop cold fingers, as the tips seems to always get cold.

I also use a fleece helmet lining beannie to keep thehead warm, and a buff around my neck, that I can pull up to cover my mouth/nose etc if it's very cold, or I'm descending.
  • stcstc Posts: 3
    I have got exactly the same problem. I commute daily to work on my bike, pretty much what ever the weather, but because it has been such a cold winter I have had serious thermal control problems! Its only my finger/thumb tips though. Having bought many pairs of winter gloves, none of which had helped, I finally invested in a pair of heated gloves which were over £100. They too were very disappointing and got sent back, so I am back to square one. I too use lining gloves then sealskin winter gloves on top and sometimes even add a third pair to the mix but to no avail. Would love a solution to this problem.
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    The answer is simple !!!

Move away from Britain , somewhere hot !!!!

Hope this helps
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I also suffer on the commute, and after trying all sorts of glove combo's, ended up using thermal liner gloves inside skiing gloves from TK Maxx. Bulky for sure, but on those subzero days, I dont care. Seem to work the best for me. Ive heard those lobster claw-type gloves are supposed to be good, keeping all your fingers together to warm each other up, but havent tried them. Send word if you ever find something good!
  • Gaz,

The best gloves for keeping fingers warm are actually Mits! That's what we wear when Ice climbing for that very reason. Not sure on the practicalities of those for biking? (I almost put mine on a few weeks back! lol!) The main reason fingers get cold will be the wind so deal with that and it'll deal with most of the cold. I'd suggest 2 pairs of gloves. Wear a pair then wear a pair of marigolds over the top! Looks daft but it'll work and you could always try another pair on top of those to 'hide' the rubber gloves! If that works for ya then invest in some windstopper gloves...or dare I say it...Mits

Mick
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Lobster claws the way to go...work like mitts, without the bulk..if windstopper ones, but you can still 2 finger brake because of the claw. I have craft ones, which come with an inner thermal pair of gloves & I can also get silk liner gloves on under those....its the best solution I have found.
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    What about some of those fab hand warmer thingies you get for skiing! I have a nightmare with cold hands and skiing they work wonders...no idea where to get them though which isn't particularly helpful!
  • Its funny that you posted that Joolz, my 'better half' bought me some if the hand warmer pads that you rub together to start the chemical reaction that warms.

I'm going to give them a go and see, but I do like the loojk of those lobster gloves....I can see a visit to 'Wiggle land' on the cards...and rack up some more WAT!!
  • 1) Have a blood test to check for hypothyroidism - a major cause of your symptoms.

2) if that comes back ok then consider Raynaud's syndrome. It's a disease ( not a bad one) that causes the flow of blood to the extremities to be interrupted thus causing poor peripheral circulation and cap refil and pain.

Hope that helps but go to the GP dude
  • Sounds like raynauld's syndrome. Make sure your arms and body are warm too. It's less likely that the distal circulation will turn off. Should you be wearing so much clothing that you overheat it will be much easier to rectify.