Home Chat General Chat

campy wheel upgrade, advice needed!

hi all
i am in the process of upgrading my khamsin campy wheel with another campy
anyone with experience on the brand could you pls recommend a good upgrade that won't brake the bank? also in my research so far i mostly found wheelsets and i only need to change the rear wheel really...but it seems only the pista is sold seperately ..is it that they mostly come in wheelsets? further more would i have a problem if i only upgraded one wheel instead of both?
cheers guys!

Comments

• md6md6 Posts: 969
    Do you have to get a Campy wheel or are you just after something which will have a campy freehub?

Some places will sell you a single wheel -wiggle have some and chain reaction cycles let you buy individually (either campy or shim freehub). It shouldn't be a problem to replace one wheel and keep the front the same.
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    hi md6!
    well i have a shimano rear wheel that i wanted to use initially but i was told i cannot because it is not compatible with my campagnolo casette and if i'd use a shimano casette then this would not be compatible with the campy chain so it seems i need a campagnolo wheel...have i been given the wrong info you think?
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I see what you mean . yeah if you run campy you need campy specific freehub...

The wheel doesn't have to be Campy - but you need one with a campy free hub on it. If you have a look at chainreaction here http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=754 choose a wheel you like then it should give you the option of campy or shim when you go to choose the wheel. If that makes sense... for example these fulcrums (which are a pair) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=42577 give the option to get ether campy or shim depending on your needs.

I know your pain as i run campy on both bikes.
  • What kind of money are you looking to spend ?

Training wheels, race wheels or both ?
  • It is easiest (and usually cheapest) to buy a wheel with a campy freehub but you can buy both campy and shimano freehubs for lots of different wheels too and swap them over. If you look in the hub spares section of the Wiggle web site you can see the freehubs available there and I am sure that there are other suppliers available on the interweb. Whether or not you want to go down this route depends on the price you are paying for the wheels in the first place, of course - and also how comfortable you are doing some spanner work or a lbs to do it for you...
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    thanks for your responses guys, basically i thought if this shimano is no good and has to go back, i might as well keep the khamsin for the turbo and get a better one to use for long rides and racing...i am not at the level where spending thousands on wheels would make much difference to my performance so was thinking better than khamsn but not bora yet!!!
    still new to this so i dont think i would have training wheels and racing wheels .... or should i? (in the 'all the gear no idea' context?)
    good to read the above about hubs ..i could have a go myself or find somebody to do it for me; good timing too ...was about to fork out 400 quid for a wheelset!
    ...so cheers once again! i will educate myself more on the hubs and take it from there
  • Mavic's allow you to swap out the freehub for Campag or Shimano. Handy if you've got 2 bikes with different groupsets.
  • Fulcrum wheels are made by Campagnolo and come in both campy and shimano hubs - Fulcrum racing 3's would definately be an improvement over the Khamsins and I would think (but have no first hand knowledge) that some of the other Campagnolo wheels like the Scirroco and the Zonda would also make a noticeable difference. All of these wheels would be around the price you are looking at and the feedback on this and other forums is generally very good for these wheels. I have noticed the prices on Merlin's website are very good on these wheels at the moment (http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... lo-wheels/) but I have not been looking for Campagnolo hubbed wheels myself so others could be better...
  • sp1nsp1n Posts: 9
    You could get a rear wheel hand built to exactly what you want.
    I can recommend steve at the Wheelroom. He's got loads to chose from, very experienced in racing too.
  • bulletbullet Posts: 115
    Eve ,

Have a look at a set of Easton EA70 (in your price range) or for a another £100 ish Easton EA90SL or EA90SLX (if you are fairly light)

I have the EA70 's on my old winter hack , & EA90SL on my race bike both are fantastic for the money .

Have fun looking anyway .