Home Chat General Chat

MIDDLE DISTANCE TRI

I know this question has been asked before .....

If I'm happy with my progress in my first Oly in June , I will be looking for a middle distance race in September.

Any suggestions for 1 that doesn't fill up quickly like the Vitruvian ?

Thanks

Comments

• Can't think of many, but Little Woody is on the Bank Holiday weekend at the end of August. Nice part of the world, and I don't think this race is as oversubscribed as many others.
  • How about the New Forest middle distance. That's usually September time. It's a lovely setting but a total bitch of a run.
  • If you want to emulate my first season (2009), then it was first Sprint in APril, first OD in June, and stepped up to first Middle Distance witht he Little woody in August. Made it all the way around, and thoroughy enjoyed the day. Keep an open mind on the Little woody, it doesn't fill up quickly, I don't think it fills at all, and you can leave the entry until very late.
  • Vitruvian is full.
    New Forest is almost full.
    Little Woody?

Be quick!
  • I am giving the New Forest a crack as my first middle this year. Sounds like a challenging course so should be an experience.

ithurts
  • I was looking at OneLastTri in October in the New Forest, that is until I read this race report! Brrrr!
    "OneLastTri – New Forest Middle Distance
    Due to problems with weed in the river we were supposed to be swimming in, they had to change the swim to a nearby lake. This meant a spilt transition and all competitors were put in a coach to the first transition. This also meant we had to hang around from 05:30 until we started at 07:30. My feet were blue and I don’t think they warmed up until the run. The swim was also shortened by 600m due to the air temperature being too cold."

http://www.crystalpalace-tri.co.uk/news ... 0-news.htm
  • An experience is certainly one way to put it ... I thought I was going to die!

In all seriousness it's a very well organised event, brilliant support at the finish line and pub (The Fox?) and decent swag in the goodie bag. The swim is a nice 2 lap affair - though make sure you've done some overdistance work in your training, the swim was a bit over 1900m (everyone said so, not just me drowning). The bike is a nice rolling 2-lap affair (the first longer than the second) and has some sections where you can get a good speed up if there's no wind. The run is one lap. One long uphill lap. One long uphill brutal lap. On sand. Ankle deep sand. Ok, well only a little bit is in ankle deep sand, but it's a tough run, which I guess makes up for a reasonably nice bike course. Will definitely do it again, and have promised myself that when I do I won't walk as much of the run as I did before

Split transitions are much better than normal ones.
  • bullet wrote:
    I know this question has been asked before .....

If I'm happy with my progress in my first Oly in June , I will be looking for a middle distance race in September.

Any suggestions for 1 that doesn't fill up quickly like the Vitruvian ?

Thanks
    Hi !
    I've just visited this forum. Happy to get acquainted with you. Thanks.