Home Chat General Chat

Endless Pools

I have been having a few thoughts about Endless Pools since seeing a couple of 220 forumites and mates in one at the TCR show last week.

I wondered if anyone could give me some feedback to the following questions just out of interest as I've had an idea.... a cunning plan (but not involving a turnip)

So....

1) Have you ever used an Endless Pool and if so how did you find the experience?

2) If you have used one was it for technique, training or therapy purposes?

3) If you have used one where was it and how much did it cost for the experience approx?

4) What do you think is a reasonable cost for a filmed technique breakdown in an Endless Pool and is it something that would interest you if it were affordable to you?

5) If you haven't used one, would you consider it? What has stopped you from using one? ie. location of a pool near to you, cost / time involved etc.

Cheers to anyone who has any input; expect it's a silly idea but you never know...

Comments

• Never used one but plan to take up on the following in the next couple of months....Should give you an idea how how much you could make/charge!!

http://www.tricentral.co.uk/page/237/Swim_Coaching

I guess the WAT on buying one though would be extortionate!
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Hey Bex

I had a video done in one and it was really useful! I'd far prefer to train in an endless pool as then I wouldn't have to count the blooming lengths!

You never know, it could be a great idea and I am sure once upon a time folk thought that golfing ranges were stupid! (atually I still do )

J
  • Yo Bex - get over the the BCTTT forum and I've just done a little report on my 1st ever swimming lesson in and endless pool. I've even stuck a video of me swimming. It's the most brilliant thing to do. You'll come away knowing so much more than you did when you started. I used Swim for Tri and Dan Bullocks sister Keeley is my coach now. She's cool. I think Flavadave also had a

I won't repeat myself but I'm a crap swimmer and within the hour I was smoother, faster, less tired and my stroke rate was reduced by 14 strokes a minute!!!!!

PS - the video is my literally just got in the water, I'm a self taught swimmer - it looks terrible on film
  • willieverfinish wrote:
    it looks terrible on film
    You ain't seen my first video yet Ben! Yes yes... I'm on it. Hopefully will sort out tonight.

So, endless pools. I thought the whole experience with the filming and instant feedback from the coach was a revelation! I paid £240(?) down at Canary Wharf for a weekend course back in Nov08, then last year £60 for an hours session. I think £60 is a fair price. Of course the coach on hand to tell you what you're doing wrong is also part of the deal.

What's the plan?
  • graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Does anyone know of any endless pool type coaching down in Devon?
  • BexHBexH Posts: 226
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys; keep it coming! Flavadave, if I told you I'd have to kill you mwah ha ha...! I think I need to get my burgeoning bottom in one myself and see what all the fuss is about!
  • sportevesporteve Posts: 141
    i've had 3 sessions down at canary wharf as well, all recorded
    very helpful, gave me a good insight of the many things i was doing wrong, improved my swimming technique, but i am far from perfect yet, i find the whole current effect a bit disorientating but apparently it is good because it exaggerates your form so all the things you do wrong are more prominent therefore easier to spot and correct - about £50 a session with the dvd
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Endless pools are a superb tool for training and videoing youe swimming technique. Have had a fair few sessions with SFT and the coaching I recieved from those guys was top notch with acheivable goals and realistic targets. Transformed my swimming stroke from a thrashing 30 min 1500 to smooth 23-24min 1500.

I still have the DVD from my first visit, looking at that and looking at a video 18months on looks ridiculous
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I was made to go in when I bought my wet suit at the end of last summer. It was in Tri UK. I was actually a bit scared of it as I had no idea what to do! It turns out you get in and swim. After feeling like a prize prat to start with and the odd feeling of my first swim in a wet suit i feel into a comfaortable enough rythum. The mirror in bottom was a touch off putting as I could see how dreadful my technique was.

My thoughts now? i would defo do it again if it was a coaching session.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    MG wrote:
    Transformed my swimming stroke from a thrashing 30 min 1500 to smooth 23-24min 1500.

I still have the DVD from my first visit, looking at that and looking at a video 18months on looks ridiculous
    Blimey, that's quite some improvement MG! How about uploading to youtube? I'll show you mine if you show me hours
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    Flavadave, I would post it on Youtube if I had the computer nous to do it. Sadly my 9yr old daughter knows more about PCs than I ever will.

But basically, my stroke went from mad wind-milling straight armed lunatic, to a more aesthetically pleasing catch up stroke. Took alot of patience and time but I'm happy with where my swimming is at now.

My favourite drill at the mo is using PT-paddles www.ptpaddles.com , Ive been using these for about 12months now and the improvements to my stroke, especially high elbow, is marked. They look weird, and are a little pricey for a paddle but believe me if I were to choose ONE swimming aid this would be it, they're superb.
  • FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Thanks for that!

Ask a question, end up buying more bleedin kit!