Home Chat General Chat

Important bike question

Ok, so I've entered my first tri. I have my training plan sorted, a list of all the kit I need to amass and a shortlist of bikes from which to choose (all pretty cheap and cheerful).

But one question is weighing quite heavily on my mind; once I've got the bike, what do I call it? Is there a convention as whether they're considered to be male or female? And judging by some of the threads here, should it be a name I wouldn't be embarrassed about saying out loud while I'm asleep?

Pressing concerns. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• FlavadaveFlavadave Posts: 749
    Some will say that all bikes are female... like ships, but it's not true I tell you.

I called my bike 'Karen' when I bought him in Jan09... It was only after 3 months of riding and the bike not behaving very well that I realised my mistake... Karen was a boy bike!!!

Cue a quick name change (courtesy of BlinkyBaz!) and 'Red Kev' was born! He's much happier now, but still lets me know sometimes that I'm not totally forgiven.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    But do you ever callhis name out at nght when you are dreaming of riding him?

I note from a post on the otherside that you are now single ( ), maybe that answers the question above?

As to naming bikes, I;ve had mine for just over a year now, and still haven't decided upon a suitable one. Few in the mix, but no definites.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Mine is called Dolly. Dolly the Dolan.

My psychiatrist says that it's perfectly normal to name my steed but advises me only to bring her into the bedroom on the very coldest of Winter nights.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Did I hear someone call my name?

So its a bike nameing is it!!!!!

I have just returned from my tour of the world naming bikes and am slightly knackered but theres always time for one more!!!!!

There are defo certain criteria you must meet when nameing your steed:-

1. Colour
    2.Make
    3. How he/she or even heshe handles

Put all this in to a machine and see what comes out! Mine is called flossie and she loves it.

As Flavadave has mentioned getting it wrong can stop you bike performing at its best,

If you need any assistance just post the answers to the criteria and we will see what we can do!
  • This is evidently an even bigger question than I first appreciated. I thought it was the kind of thing you could do easily, like naming a child.

Unfortunately I'm still in the "prospective parent" phase so I can't answer those questions yet, but rest assured I'll put a lot of effort in when I get him/her/it.
  • Reading this, I have a vision of Blinkybaz touring the world with a 'Sorting Hat' naming bikes
  • MATTmattMATTmatt Posts: 20
    I agree that you need to ride him/her for a while to see if it’s a boy or girl and then you can name him/her. I have 2 boys and girl they are call Ian, Jonathan and Hilda.
  • I guess I could practice with my MTB - a big Specialized Hardrock Comp 2010. For some reason I'm certain it's a He:

[img:1agi6jbx]https://www.cyclopediauk.com/img/pds2/10HRockCompChar.jpg[/img:1agi6jbx]

Handles well (from my limited experience) but got a puncture on my very first outing.

So hopefully a name will just pop into my mind some time soon?
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    OOOOOO A mountain bike. I am not sure if its aloud even illeagal.

So heres the deal with naming mountain bikes! Its not as easy as a road bike is to name. Road bikes have sleek lines and smoothness written all over then (Which I am aware they actually).

So I have taken on board what you say about him being big (in the frame I hope) also that you got a puncture the first time out and that he handles well. This leads me to think he needs a strong name.

Heres a couple to try on for size

Conan
    Arnie
    Ron

I am thinking conan fits well.
    A word to the wise. Beware of the giving him a weak name as you may live to regret it when he throughs you off or refuses to go up hill or in a stream.
  • I believe that puncture was his way of showing his disapproval as I'd accidentally attached the wrong type of bicycle pump and didn't have an adaptor. Lucky I was only two miles from home at the time!

After thinking about it last night I've decided his name is Bill. I christened him by anointing his chain with oil and saying a small prayer against reckless drivers.

Best start compiling a list of possible names now for when he shortly gets a younger sister.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    We are missing a trick here..... we don't our name our bikes..... our bikes name themselves.

I tried to call mine by a different name... didn't quite work. Then it became apparent whats its name was.

I have often found myself talking to the bike in an effort to go a bit fasterer....I shall now proceed to lie down on the psychiatrist table.....