Home Chat General Chat

London Waiting List

Ok, I've had a moan on the events page but thought I'd drag this over here for a wider audience. I'm a but bitter you see.

I was on the waiting list for the London Tri (Docklands that is) and got an email through saying that more places were available from 1200 today and it was first come, first served. So, I was primed at my computer at 1200 and tried to folow the link. All I got was either an eggtimer or a 'system unavailable' message for the 45 minutes that I kept trying. I then had to go back to work and it dragged down the internet on my work computer when I tried later in the day.

I'm guessing it's because lots of other people were trying to get one of the extra places too but it's frustrating that I still haven't been able to actually get a page up from their link at all.

Has anyone managed to get anywhere with it?

Comments

• don't worry about it,
    i've had plenty of rants about london tri on here before, but happy to have another,
    the london tri is by far the worst triathlon i have had the misfortune of competing in,
    after 3 years of triathlon, no race has ever come close to making me feel more like a piece of meat been ushered through a cattle market & onto a slaughter house,
    from swimming through the filth that is the docks to running & cycling through the most uninspiring industrial estate you could imagine,
    queing to get up the stair case to get to T1,
    waiting for a roller door to open so you can start your swim, etc.etc.
    do your self a huge favour, forget the hype and book yourself into an excellent club run tri, in a great clean lake/sea, country roads, and a woodland run,
    in fact you no doubt could get 2-3 races for the price of london tri.
  • GrahamRGrahamR Posts: 15
    I shouldn't complain too much as I'm doing the Dambuster this year and it's only a few miles down the road. It would be nice to ride through London and swim in the docks I used to sail in when I was at school as an end to my season though and I get really miffed at not even being able to find out if they ran out of places or what. Grrrr!
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I'm not a fan of London but
    too much trifle wrote:
    no race has ever come close to making me feel more like a piece of meat been ushered through a cattle market & onto a slaughter house
    You try sheparding 12000 people through an olympic triathlon in a very tight schedule.....
    too much trifle wrote:
    from swimming through the filth that is the docks to running & cycling through the most uninspiring industrial estate you could imagine
    Did you honestly think that it would be crystal clear water??

Its LONDON FFS its a concrete jungle!!!
    too much trifle wrote:
    queing to get up the stair case to get to T1
    I aggree, too many peeps in each wave, but again, LOTS of bodies in this triathlon!!

It IS an expensive race, but the logistics and price to shut down the capital for the day dont come cheap!!

PS. the goody bag is utter SHOITE!!!
  • Does anyone know if it actually worked today?

I logged on at 12noon, and spent the rest of the day trying (I had 2 pc's running so i know I tried all day) I twice saw a screen that looked likie I could enter the race but when I clicked they froze again. The finally the link seemed to work but there is nowhere to 'logon' as the email states. My guess is places are all gone - but on earth managed to get online! I honestly don't see how I could have tried any harder...grrrr
  • in reply to mg,
    is this not a great example of quantity over quality,
    or pure and simple greed?
    obviously with the huge sponsorship the london tri gets its able to create an image of 'if you only do one tri, this is the one to do!'
    which is exactly what attracts newbies,
    but if this the first/only expierence people have, they wont stay in the sport.
    there are plenty of club run tris around the u.k. as there are here in Ireland, not for profit, just for fun/good competition where there expierence would be far better,
    therefore keeping people in the sport for the long term and not just for their day in the docklands, their one race, so they can say 'i've done a triathlon' and never look at their bike again.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    too much trifle wrote:

is this not a great example of quantity over quality,
    or pure and simple greed?
    Absolutely...
    too much trifle wrote:
    obviously with the huge sponsorship the london tri gets its able to create an image of 'if you only do one tri, this is the one to do!'
    which is exactly what attracts newbies,
    I dissagree, I think what atracts noobs is the fact that they advertise this triathlon in every Newspaper and Magazine country wide (it seems) and celebretys do it too. Now, I'm afraid local triathlons don't get that exposure therfore dont get those numbers of noobys in...
    too much trifle wrote:

but if this the first/only expierence people have, they wont stay in the sport.
    No true, I know LOOOOADS of people who have done LDN as their first and carried on doing triathlon....I'm one of them!
    too much trifle wrote:

there are plenty of club run tris around the u.k. as there are here in Ireland, not for profit, just for fun/good competition where there expierence would be far better
    Abso-fucking-lutely my good man, whole heartedly agree with you on that one!! Tons of events are better suited to noobs but this one always pulls in the crowds!! Bit like LDN marathon really!!
  • enjoyed getting that out of my system again