Home Chat General Chat

Beginner's Guide to Triathlon

I know this board might be slightly biased but I thought I'd ask anyway - has anybody bought 220's Beginner's Guide to Triathlon that I keep seeing advertised? I figure I need to buy one as I start accumulating kit but wondered if I could get any opinions first.

Comments

• I can't comment on the 220 book but I can recommend another guide book

Try 'The triathlete's training bible

Joe Friel.

Its way over top in terms of sheer amount of information, but take what you like from it, I use it all the time for reference in my training.

Might last longer than the beginers guide as you develop in the sport.

cheers, have fun racing
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    A beginner's book? Oh dear... cue Conehead in 5... 4... 3... 2...

:-D
  • Well, mine arrived this morning. Only flicked through it but it seems OK - just a thicker version of the mag but all centred around the beginner. Seems good to me so far!
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    A cursory glance in Smiths yesterday & it looks like the last 2-3 years articles from 220 bundled together, which in itself does not make it a bad thing, but seems a bit cheap to me.
  • Cheers guys, I'm a complete beginner to triathlons so it looks like a good starting point then. Not as if it'll break the bank compared to all the rest of the kit I still need to buy!
  • mickwoodmickwood Posts: 93
    Shaun, did you buy it? I've just finished mine...its.....ok.....

It does seem to talk about most things I've been interested in as a complete newbie myself but it doesn't really go too deep. The info in there is pretty much info I've already gathered on the forums but a pleasant read I suppose?
  • I ordered it on Friday so it should be here soon. Looking forward to it; I'm coming at this from an entirely running-based background so I guess it'll be a handy rough guide to the other disciplines. If it's as you say then I'll be getting this Triathlete's Training Bible pretty soon as well!
  • jrhunt78jrhunt78 Posts: 43
    I've had the Training Bible for a few months now having been bit by the bug last summer.

I'd recommend it - it goes in to tons of details, especially into the theories of training but take from it what will and it'll set you in the right direction
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    Well.. here's a heretical viewpoint probably.

Pick any "starting triathlon" book from those available - they all say pretty much much the same thing.

take out a sub to any UK based triathlon magazine - after twelve months they'll all say fundamentally the same thing and reflect what is in the books. Plus a load of adds, a shed load of reviews for gear you can't believe the cost of or the point of, and a few recipes that fill out a few pages.

hang around on forums like 220, tritalk, BCTTT, ontri.net - read everything, ask questions, filter the answers to YOUR scenario and whatever you do...

ENJOY IT!

didds

ps public libraries are great - hint. But DO buy Conehead's book. That Darren Roberts as the name on the cover. If only cos the profits go to a worthy cause.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    When did The Darren Roberts Retirement fund become a worthy cause?
    Oh..wait a minute.
  • Unfortunately I'm still unable to comment on the contents as it's been a week since I ordered it and it's not here yet. I've got a two hour car journey on Sunday to get to the Haweswater half marathon so I hope I've got it by then!

And it won't come with Haribo either...
  • Good luck for the half.
  • hitman786hitman786 Posts: 37
    Books are good source of information and its must have! but i usually don't consult books deeply. Long live online stuff, it keeps me update and well informed and easy to find specific subject.
  • It arrived just in time! Funnily enough it does resemble a copy of the magazine rather than a book. Good reading material for tomorrow's car journey.

Shame about the lack of Haribo though.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I'm going to offer a slightly heretic type view here, don't get the Triathletes Training Bible. There is a tonne of info in there, and there is a tonne of technical things in there. But it takes quite some bloody reading, and then a second read to check you have actually got it and understand it. To me, it is too technical. Whilst I don't doub that the info in there is great, and from what i remember it was an interesting read, however trying to take it on board was just too much effort. but then maybe i'm think
  • [quote][Good reading material for tomorrow's car journey.

/quote] Blimey...is that legal??
  • Didn't get a chance to read it on the way to the race (great half-marathon BTW, would definitely recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind hills and fantastic scenery) but read it yesterday.

Seems perfectly good to me for the price I paid; not exaclty over the top on detail but it's given me plenty to work with for my first tri. After that first one I'll proably buy one of those other books that I've been mentioned; figure I might as well wait until I've any experience to apply their information to!