Home Chat General Chat

Getting into triathlon - wheres the info?

as a newbie i bought all the mags and a few books which basically all say the same. Tried reading the training bible but found it hard going. i reckon thats more for the triathelete whos had a couple of seasons training already.
I found the most useful info off you guys here!

Comments

• I would agree about the Training Bible, when I first got it I was over whelmed, so it got consigned to the bookshelf.

However a year on and mkes a lot more sense, I pick and choose what is relevent to me, very useful.

I agree about the forums, maybe less scientific, but usually more relevent.
  • I've been mainly using websites like this one, recently bought the 220 Beginners' Guide and found a couple of books in the local library too. This forum's really handy too, even just for lurking and reading from.
  • mickwoodmickwood Posts: 93
    Without doubt, the forums are the place I've picked up the most/better info from!

I have bought a few magazines and the beginners guide to Triathlon but it's hit and miss on how useful he info in them is. After all the mags are trying to cater for rookies up to 'experts'....a difficult task!

Forums have specific info and if info can't be found then ask a question and someone will have an answer for you - brilliant!
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    mickwood wrote:
    ask a question and someone will have an answer for you - brilliant!
    I'mglad you said an answer, not the answer
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    One of the best places to go for information is a race.Not to enter but watch ask questions and try to take in what is going on.Make notes then go to a forum.
    A lot of rookies seem to enter a race towards the back end of the year to allow for ample preparation,so a race visit/watch should be on the list.Watching is better than trying to visualise through words on a page.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    Join a local club and talk to people! Go to a local race and talk to people! Go to a bike shop and talk to people!

You'll probably get more out of it than sitting in front of your keyboard keeping a chair warm...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Club, coached sessions, asking the 'dumb' questions...better to be a fool for 5 minutes than be an idiot for the rest of your life.
  • mickwoodmickwood Posts: 93
    Britspin wrote:
    better to be a fool for 5 minutes than be an idiot for the rest of your life.
    Ah sh*t....it's only supposed to last 5 mins....I'm overdue on that