Home Chat General Chat

New to triathlons,....... what should i buy?

Hi everyone

I have recently decided to do my first triathlon, and tried searching for info on here but apparently is used too many common words....... (beginner kit needed), couldnt really get more specific, ah well.

Was wondering if anyone on here could give me some guideance on how i should go about getting started? I have looked into starter packs, which seems the best way to go, and looking at doing my first triathlon in July.

All help will be greatly appriechiated

JB

Comments

• mickwoodmickwood Posts: 93
    JB,
    what's your budget? What kit do you have already? How far do you wanna go? (regular events or a couple a year?)
  • risris Posts: 1,002
    bike
    helmet
    something to swim in
    running shoes
    big smile
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    If it's red and / or made of carbon, you don't need to look at the price label. The more expensive the kit you buy, the faster you will go and the cooler you will look.
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    But, ahm, seriously, you will need pretty much what ris listed.

You might be able to beg steal or borrow what you need for your first event and see what you think. Or start with a local duathlon. Triathlon will eat all of your money and leave you destitute if you believe what the magazines tell you
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    What? You mean its not all true?
  • Thanks for all the replies, well most of them. haha

My budget is basically this starter pack, https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/app/secure/ProductDetails.aspx?FamilyID=1899, which i think isnt a bad deal, considering. Anyone have any objections, or other recommendations........

JB
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Its not a bad deal and its got most of what you need.

Personally I would buy a cheap bike, or borrow one - and then pick up the other bits when on special offer or search around and am sure you will find things like Tri suit, shoes etc cheaper.

Is your 1st tri an open water Tri ? if not then you don't need a wetsuit - but if it is you can rent a wetsuit for the season for about £50 from TriUK.

Wht you have to think about is what If you don't enjoy Tri ... you have just wasted £1,200 or so - yes you could sell it on afterwards but you wont get all your money back - .... Btw thats not really a possibility as you will like Tri and you will want to upgrade everything you have just bought within a few months ... happy shopping.
  • BillyHBillyH Posts: 2
    I agree with GGB. The starter pack is decent enough but you may not like tri, pick up an injury etc etc. Lets say you do like the sport if you're anything like me, and most triathletes I know, you'll turn into a bike snob and wish you'd spent £1200 on just a bike (you'll get a lot of bike for that sort of money esp second hand). You can pick up the rest on ebay/gumtree easily enough and some of it isn't essential (i.e. books and lubs). Or if you join a local tri club you'll find you'll get good coaching and people are forever selling things on.
  • I am looking at doing the Zuerich Triathlon in July, so plenty of time to train. With Zuerich being in Switzerland, it would be quite difficult to borrow kit etc, so i will definitely buy everything i need so i can train and compete through till July.

I was going to buy a road bike anyway and that budget was £700, so the extra bit of money for the whole pack doesn't really bother me.

Training wise for it, i have read 2 sessions of each discipline each week i enough, with strength conditioning sessions in there as well. Sounds good? or should i think f doing something differently?

JB