Home Chat General Chat

Triathlon Training Camps

HI Jo !!

I wouldnt mind a go at one these training camps ... Club La Santa in Lanzarote also do one which is highly rated. I found out that although they can offer an intensive trainng package for a week (with good weahter thrown in) - this was from speaking to a few people at a tri club. That it might be better value for money for a training point of view to get a personal tri coach to oversee and help direct your training & then have a holiday after your race(s) as a break. Personally not that I am a greedy boy but I would want to do all three ....the weeeks training abroad , have a tri coach and then a serious chill out on a beach after

madnurse[:)]

Comments

• jojojojo Posts: 76
    Hi all,

Am considering doing one of those week long training camps abroad - somewhere pref hot. There's one on the Neilson website 7th May - Has anyone every done one of these .... Any recommedations/advice?????

Jo

ps. Have been a bit lazy this week with my training .... been really busy .... gonna be really quiet now for a couple of weeks so hoping to up the pace then.
    Hi Phil

Just spoken to Neilson - it sounds really nice. Gonna look up your one in Lanzarote now too. It'll prob be my only chance to practice my transitions and open water swimming. I know what you mean re holidays and I will def be taking one straight after. Re Personal Tri Coach - Well I am a qualified personal trainer so I would feel a bit embarrassed hiring a tri coach.

Jo
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Hi JO

I know what you mean I was an Army Pti then a personal trainer before sliding over in to nursing - I really had to swallow my pride etc to join my local tri club and even to go and take swimming lessons (to get a grip on my crawl) - but remebered that thing about we never stop learning and that there is always someone who will know that little more than me. I remember a potential client of mine who wanted personal training .... she was delighted with the screening and assessment process but delayed started her traing by some 8 weeks (I found out latert she did so as she wanteed to get fitter before starting - her own pride wouldnt allow her to start at basic level having been a strong althlete in her youth). I am not trying to preach nor to persuade you to take on a coach meerly to offer that the world of triathlon is a complex one .. I thought I could easily train myself to a good standard & probably could however I have found the process so much easier with support and guidance from others especially those with a depth of experience. after isnt that why your clients come to you

phil
  • BonusBBonusB Posts: 279
    I went to the Robin Brew Warm Weather Tri Camp a couple of weeks ago, went out for two weeks. I decided to take acourse in order to try and start off with as few bad habits as possible. The course itself was held out in Lanza at La Santa, great place with good facilities but I'd avoid going for half board if you chose it (simply not value for money!). The coaching staff out there were fantastic and very approachable and I came on in leaps and bounds ( i managed to knock off 10 seconds+ off my 50m swim time alone; though it has to be said coming from an olympic swimbackground and swim coach this is Robins forte; and even at the end of two weeks I was still noticing significant improvements in my crawl). I believe they run another course in october? If you want any more info then pm me or ask here and I'll answer what I can.
  • madnursemadnurse Posts: 782
    Hi Jo .. dunno if this any use to you I had lok on tri talk ... see what you make of it all

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/training/trainingcamps.php

cheers

madnurse (phil)

hi

ok - I've gone off the Neilson one - apparently it focuses more on technique - lots of theory sessions etc and what I really want is an intensive week of training - so I don't think it's for me.

looking into some others now.

jo