Home Chat General Chat

Recovery Drink

I've read somewhere that after a hard work out there is a period of time you need to replenish your body so muscle can grow rather than repair - something along those lines anyway.

Recovery drinks - powder form dosen't seem to be practical as you have to typically consume with 20 mins otherwise they go manky (spel?)

What is the best suggestion when you are finishing workouts and you are not near your kitchen!

Comments

• hitman786hitman786 Posts: 37
    I've recently read few articles that cite studies suggesting chocolate milk is just as effective as recovery drink. It varies from people to people, there are lot more others like Endurox, Powerbar, Hammer etc
  • cold bath & choc milk, brrrrrr! yum yum!
  • longyplongyp Posts: 13
    I'll forget the science then! - perhaps this can come later...
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Ah yes but...elites bodies still work the same, so stategies still apply, possibly more so as an elite gets to (possibly) get massage, have a nap before doing another session etc, whereas most age groupers, shower change a & head off to work for an 8 hour+ shift, maybe fit another in before eating, sleeping & off we go again.
    So bearing the window of opportunity in mind & exploiting it as best as one can, given ones individual circumstances, is th way to go.
  • Crackin point Britspin - if you are training lots then you need a nutritional stratergy that will aid recovery - elitist or not !!! Good news is, and backed up by lots of reasearch, is that good old plain milk is just as good as anything - and lots cheaper than chocky milk ... full of protein, vits, nutrients as well .... personally have the fully leaded stuff as well, none of that namby pamby semi skimmed stuff!!! Thats just me though!!! after a particularly hard session I also have it with a carby drink (not mixed up together) so you get an insulin spike to help get the protein into the muscles!!! Gatorade works for me!!!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    So its nearly all been covered by the Fruity one but....................................
    I was a great believer in the power of the cow about 6 months ago, now I have not moved to far from the udder but now I am using soya milk.
    Within 20 minutes of exercise I will do a 2 banana to nearly a pint of unsweetened soya milk with some wheat germ chucked in for good measure. It really works for me along side that balanced diet we all eat (yeah right)
    Seriously though milk and bananas are great. They give you protein and the stuff you need to boast your amino acids.
    Be mindful of your timings when it comes to recovery drinks as its the sooner the better for your muscles.
  • ithurtsithurts Posts: 37
    1 small tupperware tub.
    2 scoops zipvit recovery powder
    1 bottle containing 250ml cold water

Place items into sports bag/car
    Immediately after workout, mix well and consume.

job done.

PS. tastes like smelly socks though!!!!