Home Chat General Chat

What does everyone eat durring olympic dis tri??

Hi,

I hate gels and bonked big time during the run at my last tri after drinking lucuzade sport during the bike, this was my only fuel stratage.

Since then i've used the energy chews during a sprint but not sure if I'd need more for a long dist.

what does everyone use for this distance?

cheers

Comments

• I'd suggest you better start finding gels that you do like or you could sit down in transition and have a sarnie!

What gels have you tried and which ones don't you like. I bet you could find some you find palatable .
  • nivaghnivagh Posts: 595
    I've not used them in an OD, having never yet done one, but High5 Isogel is much thinner than a gel and hence easy to swallow.
    My personal experience of gels is pretty limited, but I find High5 ok to good, Zipvit I would avoid as too thick and unpalatable to me.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    I go for a gel in T1, with a swig of water, and another one at T2. On the bike, just a bottle of energy drink (Gatorade). And then a caffeinated gel with me on the run as a comfort blanket, but never use them.

With gels you just need to find one that works, they aren't nice, but they are a necessiti, so suck it up, and stop complaining.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Gels are very much a personal thing. I like the SIS isotonic tropical ones.
    I have no experoence of an OD but I know what I will be doing on my first OD this year.
    I would get a gel in at T1 like triumpht and then probadly suck another in at the end of the bike session along with an energy drink in the bike bottle.
    A big bite of banana at T2 and a caffine gel in the pocket for those hard K's.

One thing to be aware of is what you eat and drink before. You can get some good long burn energy from the GO oat type bars. Its all about how much and when before which will be in your hands and a suck it and see attitude during training looks a good bet.
  • ithurtsithurts Posts: 37
    During anything shorter than OD i just have one 750ml bottle of lucozade sport powder mix and also a 500ml bottle with flat red bull in for the caffeine boost if required.

I have just started using gels on longer bike rides (50+ miles) and find the lucozade ones ok. Got to get used to them for my first 70.3 in september.

I would just find something that your stomach can handle and stick to it. Pre race fuel up during the week before the event is a must do thing and dont make any changes to your usual routine on race day.
  • MGMG Posts: 470
    I dont "eat" anything during an OD race, only use solid fuel on HIM+.

I go for a sturdy breakfast of porridge with syrup and a banana, then just make sure I'm drinking (slowly but steadily up to the start).

during the race it'll be (about) 1l of SIS or Powerbar and then some water on the run. Depends on the weather though.

Race nutrition is about what you eat LEADING UP to the race as much as what you eat during it.

DO NOT try anything new on race day though, always have several dress rehersals before you try it in anger.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    Quick swig of lucozade sport on entering T1,about 250ml,
    then use SIS PSP 22 on the bike about 500ml if hot day maybe take two 500ml bottles.
    Drink remainder of lucozade sport on arriving in T2.

No solids needed if properly fuelled before race.
  • diddsdidds Posts: 655
    full english as breakfast pre-race.
    jam sarnie 90 minutes before hand, redbull < 45 minutes from start.

swim : nothing ;-)
    bike: gel as i start, then energy drink and water, gel half way through
    run: gel as I start, maybe water if its available on course.

gels of choice are SiS isotonic - I really like the blackcurrant, tropical is horrible

as a plan its possibly well OT but in the two ODs I have done it went absolutely fine nutritionally and hydrationally.

Coming off my bike at 30 mph wasn't quite so good mind! (I still finished though ;-)

didds
  • LexLex Posts: 65
    Ive always found an energy drink on the bike enough - as long as you;ve fuelled up properly before, as mentioned above.
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    SIS PSP22 Energy drink made up 50g to 1 litre for the bike. Find I can't take it any stronger without gut ache. Usually only drink 750 ml of it unless really hot.

Sometimes take a small amount of same concentration in a very small bottle on the run. Mostly for comfort as only take a few mouthfuls & dump the bottle on route.

When racing longer I eat cereal bars & dried appricots in addition to the PSP22
  • Fox5Fox5 Posts: 21
    Personally I take 2 SIS gels on the bike on an OD washed down with a little water. I generally go for tropical, taste nice but the consistency is pretty bad. Its just a question of getting it down then a small amount of water for me.
  • jmurt71jmurt71 Posts: 46
    I'm not too keen on gels myself either, have switched over the winter to using Rideshots (much more technical than Jelly Babies!) for both cycling and running and they're easy on the stomach, but probably take a bit longer to hit the system so I try to take at regular intervals before I start feeling like I need them. Used them for a marathon, but yet to try them out for a tri.
    I'd go along with the other posts though, bonking during an OD (which I've done myself) is probably more to do with hammering it too hard on the bike rather than fuelling strategy
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    If your not sure on Gels I would suggest trying High-5 gels - I don't have a sweet tooth at all, don't like chocolate either so I struggled with fueling on long rides until I discovered High-5. I find these are easy to consume and the berry ones and Orange ones don't taste too bad either.

I generally have Fig Rolls on rides under 3 hours - and gels on anything over that - Not done an Olympic but have done a half and survived - yes survived - that on Fig rolls and High-5 and a few other treats on the run.
  • jthetjthet Posts: 45
    Lots of porridge a few hours before the OD did it for me.

On the gel thing, its what your body likes. Tried a few gels that definately have not agreed with me but have had no problems with sis ones. Only advice is try them during training - My tri buddy made the mistake of trying a new type of gel on the race day ( a freebie from a stall) - made him chuck on the bike ride. Good for me in it is the only time I've finished ahead of him
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Sounds like the sis products are worth ago.

the only gel I've tried is Honey stinger tropical and I nearly spued for sure. Its the texture, I tried it during the run section of the Edinburgh rat race (around 13 mile)
    I can eat the honey stinger chews

are chews the same as gels just take longer to absorb?