Home Chat General Chat

Whey Protein? Yay or Nay?

Hi,

Quite a lot of my tri mates have happened to mention that they use a Whey Protein of various brands.

I'm a bit clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff and thus thought I would ask peoples opinions on the subject and maybe answer some of the following?

What is the theory behind it;
Are the claims backed by any science;
I don't really want to become a muscle marry or gain weight, any dangers;
Is this something to be taken every day or just after a hard work out (within the 20 minute window), in other words is it just the same as a recovery drink, SIS Rego springs to mind;
Recommended products;

Thanks

Grant

Comments

• I take them every now and then, because protein helps repair muscle damage and protein also helps keep your appetite in check.

So I take protein shakes straight after tough work outs or mid afternoon ( when I usually get a bit peckish and would otherwise reach for a double decker )

I don't bother with the expensive gear I get a cheap one from either Tesco or some whole food shop
    (It could be holland and barrett........ or is that a shoe shop)
  • gaterz1981gaterz1981 Posts: 233
    I use a holland and barrett vanilla whey protein if my workout is long enough/intense enough to do any muscle damage. I have it as close to the 30 minute window as possible. I think it helps....??? I certainly haven't put any weight on.

Sometimes if i have done a 3hour+ ride i will mix it in with some milk before bed as it will slow the release of it into your system.

You'll find many mixed opinions. Everybody is different in biological make up. Just try different products and see what works best. I use holland and barrett own brand whey as you get twice as much for your money then if you was to buy a cycling specific product. The content is pretty much the same, vanilla had the best content and tastes nice with milk or water.

There...... clear as mud
  • +1 for Vanilla
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    So you guy's seem to use it as a recovery drink more then anything else. So why wouldn't I just use Rego Recovery like I do now?
  • Definitely used as a recovery drink after hard or easy sessions, or use just plain old full fat milk - research shows both are equally as good, however because of the whey protein being a concentrate (or even an isolate in some cases) evidence suggests that it has great antioxodant properties and therefore is good for the immune system. After a hard session I also take it with something carb loaded such as a gatorade to give an extra insulin boost to "force" the amino acids onto the muscles to aid recovery.... works for me but is based on scientific basis rather than scientific fact!!!!

Anyhow, if you want a nice easy read about all things whey then check this link out - -

http://www.nsca-lift.org/Perform/articl ... icleID=100
  • deeessdeeess Posts: 150
    Protein is necessary for muscle tissue growth and repair - hence using it after training sessions. I saw a nutritionist recently who recommended 1.5g protein for each kg of bodyweight per day when in heavy training. Given a serving of red meat has about 28g, it can be difficult to get sufficient protein into your diet just from food so I use protein shakes as well.

Recovery drinks tend to have a mix of carbs and protein (eg in 3/1 ratio) - you need the carbs to help restore glycogen levels. Have a look at the Maximuscle Recovermax product.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I think we all have slightly differing ideas of what and where Whey is good!

I used some my protein vanilla shake mix for a while and did not feel it made any difference. But I do have a mate who uses it all the time and he has bulked up on it. He also said it makes him hurt less the next day after a big traing session. I am using soya milk and for my protein after training and it works for me or I will grab a FGS but I am trying to avoid carbs after training at the mo and getting more protein.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Rego Recovery is shit quality protein.........made from synthetic crap.....its Soya protein so its the cheapest cut you can get.

Whey Isolate is far better, I use Sci Mx 100% Whey Isolate, tastes awesome, far better than rego, and had all the BCAA's you need for optimum muscle repair and best of all I pay £28 for a 5lb tub:) which lasts me about 4 months!

Immediately after exercise I use FGS, not to everyones liking and I know that they are mainly sugar etc but its an excellent quick fix until I can get a proper Protein recovery fix.
  • TrisurferTrisurfer Posts: 228
    Hi There,

I use a BSN product called syntha 6. Only after a hard session, or if I'm not eating a meal for a while, it helps repair muscle damage and tastes awesome with milk!

Also started using Acia berry. Not the ready drinks or pills, don't know anything about them. I'm getting frozen packs of them sent over from brazil (sublime foods) just making smoothies with apple and bananas as pre or post work out. Again tasty and full of goodness.
    Been clubbing together with friends and we're buying it for a pound a packet.

Don't know if I'm less sore the next day after using it though as that's impossible to measure or compare.
  • JakesterJakester Posts: 14
    Hi Grant

Rather than waste money on overpriced products, heres a simple recipe I was given by Jenni Pearce (Lead Sports Dietitian Sport England) when I was a professional footballer:

1 cup semi-skimmed milk
    add 2 tablespoons skim milk powder
    half banana + teaspoon vanilla essence
    or half tin apricots
    or 2 teaspoons milo (mixed with hot water)

I too was taking whey supplement. This recipe does same thing at fraction of the cost. Dont be conned by bells and whistles on adverts and celeb endorsements.

Eat Smart
  • grant1974grant1974 Posts: 262
    Thanks Jakester,

That's great advice, just wondered, skim milk power into milk? It this just boost the amount of protein? Also, what is milo?
  • JakesterJakester Posts: 14
    Hi Grant

Yes it will boost the protein (skim milk powder very concentrated form and can be higher in protein than some of the whey protein products available - I have turned some body builders away from whey protein to skim milk powder because of this!). It will also boost calcium levels.

Milo - a staple from my homeland (New Zealand!) should be available in some supermarkets like Sainsburies - definately in London. Milo is similar to Build Up - chocolate flavour. It is great in milkshakes also. Another staple to look out for is Vogel bread - also available in Sainsburies in two variaties. I prefer the sunflower and barley one but there is also a soya one. I can guarantee you will become addicted once you have tried it toasted!!!

Eat Smart
  • Whey protein is an acutely prime affection protein consistent from cow's milk. Cow's milk, back you may already know, contains a brace of altered proteins. The 1st one is called casein, and this makes up about article like 80% of the bloom proteins in milk, as the actual 20% is authentic whey protein. One of the audible aberration amid the two proteins is that whey protein is added calmly attenuated in liquids compared to casein. Whey protein is additionally above with commendations to quality, and in reality, because it is the best antecedent of aliment affluent protein all around, it's about accepted as actuality the de facto accepted apropos to quality.

shakeeiweiss
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Way proteen, isn't it? Well cowed in the emphasis on the protein don't they. Of the type where it coming molecules eat best, so don't mix. Other elements interfere of the absorb and the fatty parts eat well. I hope this helps.
  • TravisTravis Posts: 2
    I have tried the stuff and found it tasted like absolute garbage, but it does have its benefits as it is straight protein with little to no fat or carbs. Especially given that I don't like gyms, my school has a very nice gym and I've used it before but I just find it much more convenient to work out at home when I can.
  • definitely use protein shakes I swear by them!
  • Cordell21Cordell21 Posts: 6
    Yes it can be taken because i have used it while my training,And it always worked for me but you should be careful about the brand you are going to choose because that is an important thing.
    Whey protein is a good thing take it in moderation when needed.
  • Scorch21Scorch21 Posts: 20
    Grant

Slam69 in B/worth do the cheapest Sci-Mx products, maybe worth a call in for price on protein??