Home Chat General Chat

105 Gear Shifters

Hi,

I have just broken my left shifter. not the bar end shifter but the shifters on the handlebars.

They are a set of 105 Shimanos. Does anybody know if they are repairable, or is it a case hope a new single left one appears on Ebay.

The shofter doesn't connect as though the cable has come off or snapped inside the shifter.

Comments

• danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    They're generally very repairable if you're patient. The first time you take a shifter apart, use the directions from Shimano. If it is just the cable slipping out of the clamp, you can tell easily by taking the casing off of the little seat that it slides in. You can see when you hold on the brake I think.

In the meantime, if you're stuck on the big ring, what's the matter? Just push harder!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    de ja vue.

How old is the bike? the left shifter on 105 is dodgy and shimano know it. I done a bit of trawling on the internet and it seems that there are a few folks with this issue, me included as mine broke with the same prob as you on Sat afternoon.

I suggest you go back to the bike shop you got it from to get their advice mate.

luckily I got stuck on the smaller chain ring so at least I can still ride the bike until I get it fixed.
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Thanks for those replies. I luckily got caught in the smaller chain also.

I did try opening it, but I guess I should take it off the handlebars as it is a bit of pain whilst attached.

I reckon the idea about taking it to the shop is best. As I almost sliced my finger off.

Thanks again.
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    yeah go back to the shop. Shimano orig tried to make the 105 left lever fit both triple and double and it failed. Take it back to the shop and see what they say.