Home Chat General Chat

Bar extensions - rules on length? Help please!

I'm new to triathlon and wondering what I need to do to make my TT bike triathlon-legal.

I've read on the ITU site that aero bar extensions cannot extend further than 15cm beyond the axle of the front wheel.

My current bike set-up, admittedly with a pretty steep effective seat angle (i.e. the position of my backside, rather than the front of the seat, relative to the BB) and low bars, puts the extensions WELL beyond this 15cm limit. In fact, it looks like I'll have to shift my seat well back and either drastically cut my extensions (putting the pads uncomftably far forward under my forearms) or fit a much shorter stem.

Am I interpreting the ITU rules correctly?

If so, I wonder how anyone gets close to an 80 deg. seat angle without bending double. I hope it isn't that my frame turns out to be too small...

Comments

• BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    If you are racing ITU races, then you are correct, stubby extensions or non at all due to the drafting nature of these races.
    If you are racing domestically then TE rules apply & I believe your set up would be OK.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    Assuming you are an age grouper, hence following non-drafting rules the only things you need to worry about are making sure it is safe and not drafting.

If you are an elite your coach will advise!

Those TT bike rules don't really apply to us, though you may get picked up for a full-on 'superman' riding position.
  • bathtubbathtub Posts: 280
    I've read on the ITU site that aero bar extensions cannot extend further than 15cm beyond the axle of the front wheel.
    This rule only applies to Elite, Under 23 and Junior competitors in Triathlon World Cups, Olympic Games, ITU Regional Championships, ITU International Events,

This rule will not apply to age group competitions
  • DavidMDavidM Posts: 2
    Thank you very much, everyone, from this newbie, for your helpful answers.

I should have said that I'm an age-grouper intending to compete in the ITU European Championships next month.

So I take it from bathtub that I won't be needing to take a hacksaw to my extensions or fit a stupidly short stem. Phew!

Bopomofo - seeing as the Europeans will be my second ever duathlon, I'm not sure that there'll be much Superman going on