Home Chat General Chat

Upgrading a Bike

Hello everybody,

So I have an Orbea, that was built with "hold your breath" Shimano 2200 system. This is more basic than basic I believe.

I thought about upgrading the whole lot to Shimano Dura Ace. Now my question is, is this possible? Could I for example change change the rear mechanics, or do I then have to change the front mechanics, the lever system etc.etc.

Also would it make much difference. I think it must. I have had people flying by me with minimal amount of work, yet I feel like I am pusing up a grade 10 hill even on the flats. So something has to be done to my bike, but not sure what.

Comments

• What kind or Orbea is it? 2200 is designed for entry-level bikes with flat bars, so assuming you have drop bars, it must have Sora shifters or something. Orbea make some seriously nice frames and it surprises me that the componentry on your bike is so basic.

If you upgrade to Dura Ace you will get lighter, more reliable components. Your bike will actually stop when you squeeze the brakes. You will get 10 sprockets on the back instead of 8. Yes you will notice the difference in quality.

As I'm sure you know, Dura Ace is very expensive and is the best quality level of product that Shimano make. If you have the money to splash out then go for it, but remember that 105 kit is good enough for most club riders, and Ultegra is positively posh [:D]

You will enjoy your riding more with better quality parts, but don't expect a new groupset to magically transform your cycling performance. If you want to get you up the hill ahead of those other guys, then training more will benefit you more than putting Dura-Ace on your bike.
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Thanks for that. does that mean I can exchange bit by bit then, rather than the whole lot.
  • Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    Hi,

As John says, its top end stuff thats way more expensive than 105.

If your frame and forks are very light and high quality it may be worth it, but if not you could probably buy an entire new bike with 105,s for the cost of upgrading to 'everything' dura ace. (thats just guess work by the way[;)])

• Upgrading bit by bit would be very problematic. Remember, Dura Ace is 10spd whilst your 2200/Sora kit is either 7 or 8 spd. 10spd parts require a different, narrower type of chain. This means you'll need a different front mech. And different shifters. And different cassette. Your rear hub may not be 10spd compatible. Sora shifters are not compatible with higher-level Shimano components because they work differently, plus they only have eight "clicks", whereas you'll need 10 for DA. You could upgrade the chainset first and the brakes later, I suppose, but what would be the point in pushing 2200 brakes with DA levers?
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Thanks for the info. Planet X bike it is then.
  • Rich_CRich_C Posts: 152
    There was a thread on here not so long back where a guy got a planet X carbon bike with full ultegra gear for a grand!

• rpopper65rpopper65 Posts: 171
    http://www.planet-x-bikes.co.uk/triathlon/

for some truly impressive deals on high-end triathlon bikes at bargain (yes, believe it or not, £1300 for that sort of equipment IS bargain) prices. It honestly makes me wonder if I need to wait until my next trip to the USA to buy a high-spec bike.