Home Chat General Chat

Use of training aids

Is there anyone else out there fed up with stupid local authority rules on using training aids in swimming pools? ie banning fins & hand paddles etc! It does not make sence. I wonder if they should ban back stroke and doing fist drills?

Comments

• ironkavironkav Posts: 259
    Hey Scotty,

I had the pool mangager take my fins/paddles when I was in the middle of a lap. Got to the end and they were gone. Tore her a new a$$hole. Last powertrip she ever went on I'd say.

Just happened to be my last months membership too, so just didnt renew and joined the National Aquatic Centre outside Dublin. 50m pool is better anyway.

Stupid rule anyway.. Insurance reasons my arse.

IK
  • okennyokenny Posts: 231
    Thw NAC costs a fortune though, right?? And it's often closed due to swim events...

It's nice though....
    199 for 6 months. (wont need it after that)

I do my training during the week so the events dont bother me too much.
  • BritspinBritspin Posts: 1,655
    Au contraire..the safety aspect is important, see threads on here about breast strokers, slow in a fast lane..that would be a safety issue, being kicked by said breaststrokers like wise, so how is it different being kicked by a fin if you are in a lane where they are being used?
    As for paddles, I negotiated with the pool staff & use the neoprene glove paddles, no sharp or hard edges. Fins I use in open water & in dedicated sessions/drills with the club, never in public sessions.
    I agree britspin that a kick by a fin would be an issue.. In my case however it was 6am and I was the only person in the pool.

IK
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    I had the same problems at the council run pool in Stoke....they even said I couldnt use my snorkel incase I drowned.....now come on that IS rediculus, I am a very competant swimmer and using a centreline snorkel almost removes all possibility of drowning.

Now I swim at Total Fitness gym, I can use any training aid I want too, and swim at any time in the day I wish without being bombarded with rules and regs saying I have to do this do that all the time. Best of all you dont get kids getting in your way.

Plus then you have the gym to use if you need it and any classes if you fancy something different. All for £6 more than I was paying to use the council pool for swimming only:) I would highly recommend it.
  • JakesterJakester Posts: 14
    Swim training Esporta Bristol a few years ago at 7am.

A freind of mine and I training in fast lane - an I@iot decided that half a pool was not enough for him, duked across to where we were training in the roped of fast lane and decided to swim breast stroke Sure, at peak times when there are a lot of people in the pool then there should be regulations on fins and paddles, but early mornings when you have the pool to yourself (i@iots aside) then there should be some degree of freedom.

Eat Smart