Home Chat General Chat

Aero Vs. Not Aero

I am getting used to cycling my new Specialized transition...mostly on the turbo at the mo.

I notice that for a certain power, cadence etc... my pulse is about 6--7 beats more in the aero position as when I sit up. (maybe 150 vs. 156 or something)
Is this too much? What do you guys experience?

Comments

• jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    It is normal for the HR to be slightly elevated due to the heart having work harder due to the hunched position.6 beats is nothing at that level,20+ more beats then something is wrong somewhere.
  • HarryDHarryD Posts: 425
    Okenny

Could you let us know in a couple of weeks what the HR difference is?

By then you should be more used to the aero position and your body will have had a chance to adapt to the (small?) differences in muscle application.

Will be interested to know whether it is purely position as Jon says or if there an element of adaption that reduces the difference. I know it always takes several rides to feel up to speed on my TT bike after a winter on my road bike.

Thanks

HarryD
  • robshaw99robshaw99 Posts: 15
    Okenny,
    I have the same bike and when I started using it on the turbo last year, getting used to being down on the bars I noticed the same thing, HR went up as I went down and I couldn't maintain the position for long.
    As I increased the practice and put more hours in the aero position the HR settled down. I'd say that after a few months I now get more power out of the bike for the same HR than I do with straight arms. That coupled with an aero position when I'm actually on the road (if the weather ever improves!) should mean significant benefits.

Rob.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I have a barely noticable difference between being aero or not, the only difference seems to be that when i sit up its for a breather/drink so i'm not working so hard. Otherwise it isn't noticable, I think it probably is just a bit of adaptation