Home Chat General Chat

Transporting bike..

Doing a race in summer and its def too long top drive (+25hours).

Any tips on transporting bike im looking into two options

1. Send with DHL (or other)

2. Buy a hard case and bring on flight.

3. Been suggested to rent or buy bike on site, but don't want to take the chance on getting an ill fitting bike and have to suffer.

Comments

• shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Too little details mate. I assume you are racing abroad with a drive time of 25hrs+, if so thats one meaty journey to be driving.

If you are going by plane, then you can rent the bike boxes from a LBS and use them. Thats what I did when I went to abu dhabi. In terms of the baggage allowance, the bike plus the bike box and some bits and pieces came it at just over the 20kg so i used my baggage allowance for the bike, then the WAT officer's baggage allowance for my clothes and tri-gear and then we both rammed as much into hand luggage as we could.

You can pay for additional baggage allowance normally about £50 each way. If you do take the bike on the plane, then you have to check it in 48hrs prior to departing.
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    Depending on who you fly with will depend on whether you have to check the bike in early. I have never had to check it in early and I race or train abroad every year. I just turn up and put it in at the same time as my bags.

I do however, book my bike onto the flight when I book the flight....cost me £30 return for the bike to get to Lanzarote and back about 4 weeks ago. I had a 30kg weight limit on the bike plus the usual 20kg luggage. Rental of a bike box is about 40 quid a week.....

Dont carry any CO2 canistors in your bike box though cos it goes through the scanner and you will have to open it all up and take them out and the airport staff bin them......to get around this you have a couple of options:

1) dont use them, take a hand pump
    2) Put them in your hold luggage IE your suitcase
    3) Buy them where ever you are going and bin them or sell them before you return.
  • andissandiss Posts: 82
    Sorry lads, yes its roughly a +24 hour drive.

Thanks for the tips.

LBS?
  • hussler.hussler. Posts: 390
    LBS = Local Bike Shop
  • andissandiss Posts: 82
    Thanks