Home Chat General Chat

Wheel Advice

I'm thinking about getting some new wheels for my bike which is a basic Trek road bike, that don't cost the earth but that would make some difference to my speed etc...I don't have a huge amount of cash at all but think it's time to upgrade as have hit a wall... So any advice without sounding too techie would be really appreciated.

Comments

• graham33graham33 Posts: 265
    Hi,

I just thought I'd tell you something Joe Beer (220 writer and triathelete) told me.
    He explained to me about tyres:

The more treads per inch (TPI) the better. above 270 is best.

He explained that using these tyres takes less energy to get them going and keep them going. he said 15 watts per tyre. he compared them to the Zipp 404's (£3000) and said they give you 20 Watts per wheel.
    So for the money (about £30 per tyre) it's an amazing investment.

I bought some - 320TPI, and I notice a difference straight away, I knocked my long commute (25miles) down by 5 minutes. believe it or not it is far more comfortable aswell.

So tyres is maybe something you could try first.

Good luck
  • mickwoodmickwood Posts: 93
    Have you got a budget Joolz? or requirements from the wheels?

I've just got 'Mavic Kyserium Elites' around the £400 mark for both. Entry level race wheels so quicker but still strong enough to handle the odd pothole 'bombproof' is a word that was used when I was asking around!
  • sp1nsp1n Posts: 9
    Steve at the wheelroom is worth chatting to for advice.
    Give us a budget though and we can help here further!
  • shadowone1shadowone1 Posts: 1,408
    Joolz,

Speak to Hussler...he can get some good carbon blingy wheels for around £400/500 mark.

Might be worth dropping him a PM to see what they cost, that if this is within your budget. A good set of wheels is going to make a big difference. Firstly the weight saving and couple that with a good set of tyres with low rolling resistance, then you will see the difference.

You may also end up with tubs, these are lighter, generally speaking than clinchers as they don't have the alumin rim that the break blocks run on. Having said that there are good clinchers out there as well.

I would be more tempted to get coaching Joolz, you'll be amazed at the difference you'll find by going down that road, buying bling is always good but coaching will make a world of difference, then reward yourself with the bling wheels!!
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Thanks everyone for your advice, it's given me plenty to think about!! :roll: