Home Chat General Chat

Saddle pack?

Hi,

Any thoughts on what size/brand saddle pack to go for? (I only ask as I am one of those people who invariably buy the wrong thing and then find out when it is too late).

The Topeak Aero Wedge looks all right, but not sure about size, or what I should aim to fit in it. CO2 bottle, a few tyre levers, a spare innertube....am I missing anything?

Up til now I have gone without, but a colleague keeps telling me stories about punctures halfway round the cycle leg, and how important the saddle pack and its contents are so I am getting paranoid.

Thanks all.

Comments

• BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    I have a bell under seat bag. its cheap and cheerful. Bit like me I suppose.

I carry 2 ineer tubes 2 CO2 canisters and the pump thing that gos with them.
    Tyre levers plus multi tool thing.
    You also need room for mobile phone keys and some cash.

It all depends on what you want from it. If its flash bling them spend some cash but if its practical and functional them go for budget but big enough. I had a Lidl's bag for a while but it was to small for the CO2 stuff.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    I have the aero wedge thing (medium i think) which i put 2Co2 canisters, a spare tube, 3tyre leavers a multitool and then wedged in the rear light - that was all it could take, but thats about all i needed to be in there, Oh and a pair of latex gloves if i needed to do anything with the chain etc.
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    . . . toilet roll, don;t forget the toilet roll. You may never need it, but if you do, and it's not there, arrrrgggghhhh!!!!! (The voice of experience)
    TRIumphant wrote:
    . . . toilet roll, don;t forget the toilet roll. You may never need it, but if you do, and it's not there, arrrrgggghhhh!!!!! (The voice of experience)

I have a pack of tissues which always stay in my jersey pocket
  • huwdhuwd Posts: 228
    from experience the small aero wedge is big enough for 1 tube, 1 small multi tool (tyre levers on the side), 2 co2 canisters and a small puncture repair kit.

at this point it is stuffed to bursting but at least it doesnt rattle!
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Latex gloves? In case you need to do something with the chain. What the hell are doing as its not cycling!!! Is it some dogging thing???LOL
    Blinkybaz wrote:
    Latex gloves? In case you need to do something with the chain. What the hell are doing as its not cycling!!! Is it some dogging thing???LOL

No occasionally i find the chain used to slip off the bottom of the cassette and get stuck - it took quite a bit of effort to get it back on (have since had gears indexed which stopped it) but getting the chain out mean both hands covered in chain oil, which made drinking (without dropping the bottle/tasting oil) difficult to say the least, not to mention gels oh and i would also forget and wipe sweat off my face on the run streacky black hand prints down your cheeks and across the forehead only look ok if you're playing at being a soldier!
  • danny_sdanny_s Posts: 235
    I went for one that looked bigger than I wanted, but when you go out for a long day you'll inevitably bring a load of stuff. In mine I keep a mini pump, 2 tubes, tyre levers, multitool, maps for where I'll be maybe, and spare nuun tabs. The sides are compactible, so nothing rattles, and there's a little pocket for phone/cash/cards in there as well.

http://www.primera-sports.com/Template.aspx?prodID=351