Home Chat General Chat

Achilles rehab

I am as the title may hint at in rehab for an achilles injury.
I am aloud to run once a week but only on flat ground and easy pace. Its doing my head in.
I am aloud to swim but have to watch it on the kick offs which also pees me off.
Guess what I am aloud to cycle and as much as i like at any pace. (my pace is slow)

So heres the question

Which is better for keeping cardio fitness for running swimming or cycling?

Sorry if I went off on one there but the in jury is really getting on my nearves now. I have exercises and do them exactly as told by the physio.

Comments

• iadamaiadama Posts: 60
    Surely it's best to mix both swimming and cycling to maintain fitness?

I'm just approaching full recovery after 4 months of achilles hell. I kept up swimming, but found it very easy to aggravate my achilles during push offs, so heed that advice well! Only once had a problem with cycling, other than that it's been fine, as long as I made sure to stretch and stretch well afterwards!

A few things that have helped in the last few weeks (and enabled me to get running again)

1) this strap is the next best thing after taping, and allows me to run without any agro at all, and also useful for wearing after runs - http://www.body360.co.uk/product.php/24 ... foot-strap

2) ankle & calf strengthening exercises, key one being - stand on the edge of a step on one foot, and lower down over 4 seconds to just below horizontal (so the heel is just under the top of the step - not too far, otherwise it'll make it worse), then raise (1-2 seconds) and repeat 10 times. Swap feet, repeat. Do that 2-3 times.

3) roll a golf ball under your bare foot - hurts like buggery but the relief afterwards is great

4) foam roller, and omni roller ball, to get rid of the calf knots.

As per usual, I'm no expert, but a combination of those things have got me running again. And lots of cycling in the past few months has seen me knock a minute off my Z2 slow run mile pace, and get a 5k PB at a triathlon a couple of weeks ago with only 2 very short runs in the weeks leading up to it.
  • BlinkybazBlinkybaz Posts: 1,144
    Cheers Iadamd

Most of your exercises are on my list from the physio execpt that golf ball one. HHMMM the hurts like hell bit is putting me off slightly but I will give it a go.

Thanks
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    another thing that might help is the eliptical trainer - if you are allow to use one. They are a similar movement to running, but without any impact, and because you can use your arms as much (or as little) as you want are good for all over fitness and keep the cardio levels well. When i had some calf trouble i trained most of my HM training on one - and still got round in 1'55. So it worked quite well - just not as well as running obviously.
  • BmanBman Posts: 442
    I remember reading somewhere (must have been a tri mag) where someone asked the same question. The answer fromthe guru was that cycling was better for run fitness. Swimming, not so much.
  • Jack HughesJack Hughes Posts: 1,262
    I had an Achilles problem which kept me from running from November to march. I really focussed on the cycling. Strangely enough I did a 5k at the weekend - and got a pb! Fastest run since 2008. And I've only done base run training - 30 mins a week in march split over two easy 15 min sessions.

So, don't get frustrated, and the bike is a good compromise plus do everything the physio tells you for exercises etc.
  • I feel your frustration! Haven't been able to run for two weeks due to achilles. Have London Marathon in two weeks and thinking I might just rest until the day.
    Lots of cycling and swimming as far to scared to even do a test run at the moment although it seems to have eased off.