Home Chat General Chat

Open Water swimming, lakes opening soon

Anyone fancies some open water swimming? Liquid Leisure is open on 24th April as is Heron Lake, Reading is already open....

Comments

• diddsdidds Posts: 655
    lake 32 near cirencester is open all year round

didds
  • GrahamRGrahamR Posts: 15
    I wish I was back down south and able to join you. I have a shiny wetsuit and nowhere to use it yet.

Anyone know of anywhere to OW swim around Rutland? So frustrating having the Dambuster Tri on my doordstep but, so far as I can see, no OW venues.

Failing that I may have to organise a road trip to join you in getting cold and wet!
  • pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    i think that the Quays opens soon too, although a mate has already been for a pre-season dip and said it was a bit chilly!
  • I was at Reading on Saturday 8.5 degrees. Fresh is the best description. Nice new shop though.
  • jsa01jsa01 Posts: 9
    I swam at Eastleigh (near Southampton) on Saturday. 6 deg C - very, very cold, but I thorooughly enjoyed my first ever OW swim.
  • PetabPetab Posts: 13
    Yep, first OWS race is only 7 weeks away and I swam like a wounded whale the other night - best start swimming like a dolphin soon or i'll have to wear a tracking device so they can retrieve me from the bottom of the lake......

I swam in a wraysbury lake a few years back and the water temp was about 3 degrees - BUT - I was in a full drysuit (diving), don't know how you you swim in 6 degrees in a normal wetsuit....once an Aussie always an Aussie, just look for the survival blanket and thermals out of the water in the middle of summer - I guarantee you will find me underneath!
  • Didds, I just joined up to go there. Is it a nice lake? I've never swam OW before but for some insane reason entered Blenheim & cotswold super sprint. I have a great fear of deep water/drowning etc so Im dreading my first swim!! :roll:
    cantdo... yep, its cracking! Lovely place, very serene especially early in the day. Middle/late summer when its "warm" and you are there at 6 am, with nobody else (well, except your swimming partner of course!) and the mist is rising off the water...

Another couple of weeks and I'll be heading over... keep in touch and we can meet up if you like.

didds
    catdo... here's a picture

http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/userpix ... Copy_1.jpg

see you there!

didds
  • Looks lovely........
    Im going to try and go as often as possible but having someone to go with could be tricky.
    May go this sunday morning if my friend will come. He'll have to look after me when I freak out!!!
    Hope the fish are only small
  • PetabPetab Posts: 13
    Didds, is lake 32 the same one Votwo had there IM swim in last year? That was toasty warm in June/July last year....
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    GrahamR

leicester tri swim at watermead country park weds eve and sat morn, NE leicester, possibly not too far from Rutlandshire, although if you live on the far side there is the epic journey across Rutland itself .
    You'd have to become a member for insurance, but then only cost is the carpark (£1.50) and a couple of sessions spotting.

http://www.leicestertriathlonclub.co.uk/

Friendly club too.

Ade
  • the bellythe belly Posts: 125
    1485 Tri Club Starts open water swim sessions at Market Bosworth Water Trust 17th April
    for those that want an early dip before it all kicks off......

http://www.spanglefish.com/1485triclub/ ... eid=101411
  • IronABSIronABS Posts: 66
    No way can you call it a picturesque lake but its definitley OW swimming, Salford Quays opens in the first week of May for us Notherners, Thursday AND Monday nights this year
  • GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Lakeside Multisport opened last week I believe .. I shall be going to try it out at 6am Saturday.

http://www.lakesidemultisports.co.uk/in ... sions.html
    petab... yes - votwo usually use lake 12, but aiui they used lake 32 last year, though the other end than "normal".

didds
  • GrahamRGrahamR Posts: 15
    Cheers for the advice about Leics Tri. The lake's shut at the minute but they're hoping to start swimming there in the next few weeks.

In the meantime I took the opportunity to swim at Holmepierre Pont last night with Absolute Tri. A bit of a drive from down here but worth it to get in the water ahead of my first OW next Monday. Also great to have somewhere where you can just turn up and swim for an intro rather than joining a club.
  • BopomofoBopomofo Posts: 980
    I was at Lakeside in Eastleigh (Southampton) this morning. It is now up to a toasty 14 degrees. Lovely!
  • ShaggyShaggy Posts: 140
    Graham

hopefully Leics lake will be open soon. As for joining - I'm pretty sure you can have a couple of goes first, and make sure you like us all (well, at least some of us!) before joining forever.

Ade
  • joolzdjoolzd Posts: 245
    Discovered a lake in Denham, and is on my way to work...Wednesday mornings here I come!!

http://www.denhamwaterski.com/Welcome.html
  • That's great news - 5 mins from my house!
    Denham weren't open last year but were the year before apparently.
  • simonwboothsimonwbooth Posts: 16
    Not open water, but I've been to the Tooting Lido a couple of times now and it's absolutely freezing still.

I'm doing the Merchant Taylor Tri in a couple of weeks so I'm going to head to Liquid Leisure on Saturday for a session, I'm not looking forward to the water temperature it has to be said.