Home Chat General Chat

How is everyones Ironman training going??

Bit of an odd one this..........I started my IMUK training back in November. It started well but slowed down a bit towards Christmas, then got post Christmas couldn't be bothered-itus (grrrr ), picked up a bit then last month was hit by flu (not of the man variety!!), then hurt my knee...catch breath!!!!

Then the last 2 weeks have been how I remember training to be, enjoyable!! . Enjoying going out 6 days a week for hours at a times sometimes, managing niggles and aches.

It took a few months to get to this stage but now I'm in the zone want to stay here.

How is everyone else's preparations going?????

Comments

• GGBGGB Posts: 482
    Nice one ... at least you are back on track

Mine has been mixed - Cycling over winter has been great, getting good mileage in and fitness levels up
    Hardly done any swimming though - hopefully 1st OW session this weekend.
    Running has been ok but not got any real distance under my belt apart from 1 HM

I tore my Quad doing the HM a few weeks back and only just been back on the bike this week - managed about 45 miles so far - running is a no show, probably not going to be running for a few weeks yet until quad is healed properly.

I can now swim again though so starting next week (on holiday from this weekend) I shall be upping the cycling and swimming mileage somewhat - not long to go to IMUK 70.3 or IMUK ... eeek its getting a bit scary
  • TRIumphantTRIumphant Posts: 850
    My story is much the same. Started the year fully focused, and hit every session. Joined the local Masters Swim Club, and seen a huge improvement, not just in my crawl, but now fairly competent at all strokes, and thoroughly enjoying being in the water. Now I can't wait to get onto OW swims, and just ordered myself a new wettie to encourage me.

Bike had been going well, and started to up the distances, so now I ride further than I had before, and quite enjoy doing 100+ km rides. Only downside is that my speed is remaining pretty constant, averaging 15mph/25kph, which is what I was hoping for on the day, so hopefully with another 3-4 months in the saddle I'll either be faster, or less knackered, or both.

What I wasn't being able to do was the faster sessions, so I've started riding to and from work. The journey in being a high rpm session, and the trip home being in the biggest gear I can manage.

Running has been a slightly different story though. Started off we, but picked up a bit if an ankle niggle. Not sure what or how, but it meant almost no running in March. However, I started back on Tuesday with a hilly trail 10 miler, and all seemed to be OK'ish, but a little sore. Again with another 3-4 months I should be OK.

Pressure on family life makes some weekends hard, but that's life, and I've had to readjust my expectations to reflect it, ho hum.

Looking forward to weekend of good weather, with a long run on Saturday, and weather and time permitting I might attempt a full race distance ride on Sunday. One of the plus sides of IM training is just how good it makes you feel. Aching all the time, but you know why.
  • jonEjonE Posts: 1,113
    How's my training going,
    one stride forward and six steps backwards.
    Currently on course for a DNF,unless I do abit of last minute cramming.
  • pataallenpataallen Posts: 94
    Started off strong last autumn, maintained it through xmas and new year, pretty much stayed off the booze through the festive season then january was a complete disaster with all the snow!

Picked it up again in Feb and have been going (reasonably) strong since then - swam consistently through the winter, 3-4 times a week. Now doing a couple of long 3k sessions per week - this is my biggest gain (although not fast, around 60mins for 3k) as last year i could barely swim a few lengths without drowning!!!

Bike has been steady but can't seem to get above 18mph as ave speed over long ride, would like to push 20s but i don't think that will be possible this year?

Running, i've been totally steady. As a certified jesse i can be prone to injuries so only running the minimum (3 per week plus 1 brick), although now built up to 1:45, again, not especially fast, but consisent and steady...i'm doing the Don Fink plan which on the face of it seems easy but by the end of the week i'm always shagged!

Now, if only i could lose some weight...i'm sure i'd go faster! even training 11-13hrs per week my weight is pretty constant - i tried cutting back the calories to shed a few pounds -but it was a complete disaster i had no energy to do anything....i'm 12'12" and would like to drop the 12" if anybody has any ideas?????
  • IronABSIronABS Posts: 66
    As with everyone else mine started Autumn last year: Swimming has been great, most weeks i've been getting 3 sessions in and averaging now around 8,000 - 9,000 meters a week and i've managed the full distance in the pool now 4 times, just waiting for Salford Quays to open its doors so i can get into the Open Water. Cycling training on the other hand was slow to get started and got worse over the winter without a turbo and with the snow & ice. It has been picking up lately, i completed the Cheshire Cat 100 miles a couple of weeks a go and getting out regularly for long rides. Running has been the big winner, not even the snow and ice could stop me there, i've benefitted from entering races over the winter and i've recently completed the Barcelona Marathon in 3h 13mins (which would've been sub 3hrs if i hadnt been struck down with stomach cramps half way round!!).

So i feel like i'm on track for Nice in June the biggest worry is getting over there with my bike and gear in tact, i'm going by myself, flights and hotel are booked but still nervous about the whole trip. Come race day i'll be relived to get to the start line with all my gear in one piece!!!
  • wyno70wyno70 Posts: 189
    Similar to many of the posts above really, it's had it's moments but all in all it's going well for me.

i'm very prone to coughs and colds so factored in some illness and recovery time and just as well as I spent 3 weeks in Jan/ Feb quite bunged up.

I put it down to trying to lose weight at the same time as high volumes of training. Daft I know but I've learned my lesson.

The turbo was an excellent investment in Jan/ Feb and what with a few spinervals and CTC training videos I've made some great strides in my cycling. I feel much faster and stronger than last year so it's been a winter well spend and I'll keep using the turbo and training vids at least once a week all the way through as I think they've been of massive benefit.

My swimming pretty much takes care of itself as it's my strongest discipline but I did join a masters swim class and it's taken over 3 mins off my 1500 time (now down below 24 mins) and 4000m doesn't feel too difficult. As others have mentioned, now very much looking forward to open water season.

Running is my weakness but I managed a sub 2 hour half marathon which I haven't managed in 15 years and keeping going for a couple of hours doesn't feel like hard work. i've been doing a lot of my running off road in Epping forest and i think the hills and mud are starting to pay off in terms of strength.

So all in all, jan/ Feb was pretty bleak with lots of colds etc and feeling very run down but I do feel like I'm past that now and am getting in 11 hours + per week and looking to increase that slightly over the next few weeks.

I'm currently coming towards the end of week 17 of a 30 week training plan for IMCH (at the end of July) and am looking forward to an olympic and half IM in May.

And I've just come back from my first decent ride on my new time trial bike which was just awesome, so feeling good at the moment!
  • How's my training going,
    Why??? whats happened!?!?

Sounds like everyone else is getting on track for a good summer. I've just come back from a 2.30hr brick and LOVED every minute of it, strong, smooth adn powerful all the way.

I did Blackpool HM yesterday, playing support role for my mate as it was his first race ever, that said I'm not even going to put the time down!!!!!........anyway, I got talking to a bloke in the toilet cue (as you do) who had his IM New Zealand tshirt on so naturally we got talking. I mentioned just how much IM training takes over your life and that I'd promisewd the missus to take a year doing sprint or OD so the training commitments weren't so great. His reply, "really, are you sure? I said that before my first IM and I've done 3 now. I guarantee the minute you cross the finish you'll want to do it again" I wont be telling this missus then about that converstion then!!
    firefightergaz wrote:
    How's my training going,
    Why??? whats happened!?!?

:
    Swim...Fine
    Bike.....distance increasing,so should be fine
    Run......mmmmm,just frustrating,with injuries,it is a balance between increasing the distance to a specific point before recovery turns to rehab.Even more frustrating due to my background being based on running(sub 3hr 15m marathon),so to not run plays havoc with my IM run training(suppose I could walk).I have done a 70.3 based purely on bike fitness,so it is possible,but,an IM is more than just double the distance of a 70.3.
    I know where I want to be but that ship has sailed,and I seem to be making the most of the flotsam and jetsam around me.But,hey,I have 3 months.
  • Mines going ok! Am also suffering with injuries as a result of run mileage! am getting to 10 miles and my right knee becomes very painful! Can manage it with roadside massage and an ice pack when I finish my long runs.

As I come from a running background I am concentrating on swimming technique and cycling endurance as I think they will be my stumbling points come race day!!

Am up to 3hrs on the bike, covering about 80km! That will increase in the comming weeks hopefully!

How's everyone else feeling about the race?.......

I'm getting more and more nervous as the weeks go by! This is my first IM! Did the New Forest Middle last year and really suffered due to poor nutrition!! Have learnt my lesson though!!!!
    MusTriHarder wrote:
    Did the New Forest Middle last year and really suffered due to poor nutrition!! Have learnt my lesson though!!!!
    What did you learn? Enlighten us so we don't repeat it
  • TRIumphant wrote:
    [quote="MusTriHarder":22d4oyf5]Did the New Forest Middle last year and really suffered due to poor nutrition!! Have learnt my lesson though!!!!
    What did you learn? Enlighten us so we don't repeat it[/quote:22d4oyf5]

My biggest mistake in the New Forest was to underestimate the run!! Anyone who has done the NF Middle Distance will tell you that the run leg is pretty harsh!!

I basically doubled my OD nutrition plan for the middle distance!! Hence, 10km into the run I found myself hitting a large wall, and finishing the last half of the run in an hour and a half!!

My understanding is that race day nutrition is a very personal thing!! Some may get by on just gels and fluid...whilst some prefer solid food!!

Whatever works for you, you have to fuel on the bike for the run!! The harder the run leg the more calories you need in you by the time you get to T2!

That's my lesson learnt!!!!

Come IMUK I'm also going to write the date of the 2009 New Forest race on my hand so I don't forget the pain I went through that day!! Hopefully it'll remind me not to go like a bat outta hell on the bike and save some for the run!!!
    Good point about not doubling an OD plan to make it a HIM plan, and about not going like a bat outta hell on the bike. I find it's sometime difficult to hold back, but if you do it'll pay off. It;s when you get passed by others is he real challenge. Out on the weekend, all kitted out, and donw on the aerobars, generally enjoying myself, got passed by some young'un on his bike who looked back at me, expecting me to be hanging on his wheel, but when he passed I'd looked at my computer and ot already had 100km on it for the day, so I just stuck to my pace and let him go, which he probably bragged about to his mates later in the day, but what the hell.

I also found out on the weekend, that although I can feed myself pretty well on the go on the bike, what made a huge difference was stopping for a couple of minutes andgettinga really good feed in, gels, sorren, banana, anything really. Don't know whether it was the fact I was stopped, and stood upright, or the fact I could chew a swallow properly, but it did make me feel better after re-starting.
  • Top tip that TRI, I might try that when i'm out on a big'un.

It doesn't matter how well a training session goes, I still get butterflys when I think about August 1st. If I stick to my plan, and not get carried away I know I WILL finish. (on sheer will power alone if it comes to it!!!)
  • JasonBJasonB Posts: 303
    Well I am follwing the Complete Training Plan book. Start in Feb, and did a bit pre proper training.

Keeping to there schedule has really helped. Everything is based on training times as opposed to going for a 50 mile bike ride. Therefore I don't find myself competing against myself trying to get a better time. This has had the effect of making me more relaxed, and naturally both fitness and speed have gone up.
    I think I am on a good track. Although I can't believe it is just over 3 months to the IronMan.

I am best in the pool, followed by on the bike, and am quite confortable doing 3.5 hours on the bike now with energy left for a half hour run.

The running has seen my greatest improvements. I am in the London Marathon, and being 15.5 stone at the time of beginning this plan. I predicted my London Marathon to be 5.5 hours. Now I am down to 14 stone (although want more off) and am predicting sub 4:30, possibly 4hrs. So very pleased there.

I just cant wait to race on fresh legs. As somebody said in an article I read "We are always training on tired legs" How true is that.
  • md6md6 Posts: 969
    my training can be summed up in 3 words: Must Try Harder
    JasonB wrote:
    I just cant wait to race on fresh legs. As somebody said in an article I read "We are always training on tired legs" How true is that.
    I wish it was just my legs that are tired, but my whole body hurts most of the time...i'm not a natural swimmer and so that makes the shoulders ache, getting aero on the bike makes my lower back and shoulders ache then the actual running and riding make my legs ache. I almost wish i could have a few weeks off and start again, almost
  • "Pain is weakness leaving the body"

Yeah cheers for that Lance!!

Got to say that I agree with you all though. I'm constantly aching, niggles here and there and could fall asleep on my feet at any given moment. It'll be worth it come August 1st
    i've been following the Fink plan and i did the new forest sportive at the weekend in lieu of a long bike. This was my furthest distance so far this year (85 miles and gold finish, although i don't like to mention it!), i awarded myself an extra day off on tuesday and the difference when i trained yesterday was remarkable. i felt fresh as a daisy and very strong - maybe training (twice)everyday can be counter-productive for the average age-grouper looking for a steady finish?
    I agree on the dfferent attitude for an Age Grouper. I'm following the BeIronFit plan, to a degree. I know how many sessions of each discipline I'm supposed to do per week, and what they are supposed to be. However, having had previous knee troubles, I very seldom, if at all, ramp up the intensity in order to build speed, as I know that it'll come back and bite me. I'm therefore not really useing the 'Build' pahse to build, but more of an extended 'Base' phase. As to 'Peak', I'll have a view on that when I get to it.

I'm still going more on feel as well, if I'm out riding/running, and all is going well, then I usually stay out longer than planned, just to build more endurance, and enjoy the good weather. Likewise, if I'm knackered or things are going too well, then I may slack off. And I don't really bother with bricks. I'm averaging the correct number of hours per week, but just in different quantities, but will it work on the day, I hope so. My only goal this year is to finish, and have a bloody good time doing so.
  • I'm doing a long hilly bike at the weekend 65miles and a couple of runs during the week with longest being 11miles. Swimming is limited to a couple of 30m minute session before black line boredom kicks in. Total hours 8-9 at most. Do you reckon this is enough at this stage in the build up to Bolton?
    Nick_C_Davies wrote:
    I'm doing a long hilly bike at the weekend 65miles and a couple of runs during the week with longest being 11miles. Swimming is limited to a couple of 30m minute session before black line boredom kicks in. Total hours 8-9 at most. Do you reckon this is enough at this stage in the build up to Bolton?
    quality over quantity, surely...although...quantity with IM has a quality of its own!
    Nick_C_Davies wrote:
    I'm doing a long hilly bike at the weekend 65miles and a couple of runs during the week with longest being 11miles. Swimming is limited to a couple of 30m minute session before black line boredom kicks in. Total hours 8-9 at most. Do you reckon this is enough at this stage in the build up to Bolton?
    plenty,unless you want to win it.In which case you might have to triple it.